Re: [CF] fuel cells and global warming

  • Robert J. Matter
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 7:07 PM
      Jym Dyer wrote:

      > > They are being praised because their only emission is
      > > water vapor.
      >
      > =v= That's their only "tailpipe" emission. There's still
      > the matter of emissions from the electricity used to separate
      > hydrogen from water molecules.
      >
      > =v= There are clean, renewable sources of electricity, of
      > course, but these are limited. I would argue that they should
      > not be squandered on wasteful forms of transportation.
      > <_Jym_>
      >
      > P.S.: Fuel cell cars would still pollute with tire dust and
      > lead poisoning from wheel weights, of course. Plus they'd
      > still kill and injure people, cost lots of money, and prop
      > up a Hellish transportation infrastructure based on sprawl.

      I'd like to see more fuel cell buses.

      Chicago Transit Authority fuel cell buses: http://216.51.18.233/pics/ctabuses.jpg
      Georgetown University fuel cell bus project: http://fuelcellbus.georgetown.edu/
      CA transit fuel cell bus evaluation: http://www.ott.doe.gov/otu/field_ops/sunline_eval.html
      Ballard Zebus: http://www.fuelcellpartnership.org/Zebus.html
      Fuel cell bus club: http://www.fuel-cell-bus-club.com/

      -Bob "multi-modal" Matter
      "Trains of all sizes dominate. Streetcars spin down streets
      in a national web of reliable rail. Bikes offer transit for
      over ten percent of commuters. Half of all Amsterdam traffic
      is two-wheeled, moving on safe lanes that bypass car traffic."
      --Jane Holtz Kay, New Colonist January 2003