Another Mystery Person

  • Ken Kifer
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
      Very oddly this forum has received several posts from people who had never
      posted before or since, all opposed to comments against the space program!

      Ken
      --
      Ken Kifer's Bike Pages: 150 web pages -- touring, commuting,
      lifestyle, health, advocacy, skills, humor, surveys, and links:

      Bicycling Advocacy:
      To join, visit the above page or send a blank email to
      bicyclingadvocacy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    • Rachel <rachel@ramblesandbyways.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2003
        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Ken Kifer <kenkifer@k...> wrote:
        > Very oddly this forum has received several posts from people who
        had never
        > posted before or since, all opposed to comments against the space
        program!

        I lurk regularly and have been carfree for several years. I'm not
        opposed to comments against the space program but I am opposed to a
        blanket condemnation of the space program as I feel that not only do
        we learn from it but it fills a need for exploration and hope for
        many people. Saving the snail darter just isn't going to cut it as a
        final frontier for most people. I think we need to not only save the
        earth but also look out to the stars. If we neglect either we will
        deny something in us that both wants to protect our home and go into
        the unknown.
      • Barbara Watson <babswatson2000@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
          Hi Rachel,
          Looks like these conspiracy theorists think that everyone's lives
          revolve around the Internet. I'm lucky to have time to read this
          group once a week, time to post is even rarer. Isn't it silly how so
          many people who's lives do revolve around the Internet are so afraid
          of anything new? Most of us do have a need for exploration and I try
          to cultivate that in my students, but there are always some that keep
          turning inward.
          Barbara
        • De Clarke
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2003
            http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=573&ncid=757&e=3&u=/nm/20030305/od_nm/autos_show_bulletproof_dc

            :Mail: de@... | :
            :Web: www.ucolick.org | Don't Fear the Penguins :
            :1024D/B9C9E76E F892 5F17 8E0A F095 05CD EE8B D169 EDAA B9C9 E76E:
          • Will
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2003
              --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Watson <babswatson2000@y...>"
              <babswatson2000@y...> wrote:
              > ... these conspiracy theorists think ... Isn't it silly how so
              > many people who's lives do revolve around the Internet are so afraid
              > of anything new? ... always some that keep
              > turning inward...

              All I seem to see from Barbara is vague dismissals and demeaning
              pejoratives. Rachel did mention the advancements that we obtain from
              space research, but I still haven't seen any substantive support for
              massive scale asteroid mining and thousands of space factories to
              maintain the current population levels. BTW, I am for space
              exploration in many forms, having performed mission planning and
              engineering on the Space Station and am an active amateur astronomer.
              No conspiracies or fear here.

              Will
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2003
                On 5 Mar 2003 at 17:08, De Clarke wrote:

                > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=573&ncid=757&e=3&u=/n
                > m/20030305/od_nm/autos_show_bulletproof_dc

                >German security officials have rated the car "B6/B7," meaning the
                >vehicle can withstand fire from weapons as powerful as an M16 or
                >Kalashnikov AK47 rifle.

                Not impressive. RPG (Soviet rocket propelled grenade) launchers are
                rather common. If I was planning to murder anyone inside such a car
                it would no doubt not be difficult to get hold of one from some under
                paid person in the former Soviet Bloc.

                >Drivers of a particularly nervous disposition can start the engine
                >by remote control before they get in to ensure no explosives are
                >wired up to the ignition,

                Not much use if the explosives are wired to a motion detector.

                To get back to car free such pseudo-security is probably counter-
                productive. Far better for the so-called very important person to
                travel round on a bicycle.

                I will *always* explain why I revoke a key, unless the UK
                government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.