RE: [CF] The Space Shuttle

  • Jeff J. Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2003
      -----Original Message-----
      From: RIIN GILL [mailto:riin@...]
      Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 5:04 PM
      To: CarFree@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [CF] The Space Shuttle

      I asked my husband about this, why aren't they doing this? He reminded me
      about the space station. I'd forgotten about the space station. You
      don't hear much about it, do you? The space station serves exactly the
      function I'm talking about. So the shuttle could just act as an actual
      *shuttle* to carry scientists back and forth to the space station every 6
      months or so. But there is absolutely no need for it to fly every few
      weeks. No need for the shuttle to be used for experiments. That's what
      the space station is for. So why is the shuttle still being flown so
      often? Funny, no one wants to answer that question...

      Because the space station isn't finished yet. Part of the reason for having
      so many flights is that they have carry up the pieces to build the space
      station.
      <<<<
    • RIIN GILL
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2003
        On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Jeff J. Wilson wrote:

        > Because the space station isn't finished yet. Part of the reason for having
        > so many flights is that they have carry up the pieces to build the space
        > station.

        I wanted to respond to this earlier, but I haven't had the time till now.
        Jeff, you're correct. It's not finished yet. I can explain where the
        confusion came from. Pete, my husband, remembered reading something about
        people living up there and stored that in his head as meaning it was
        finished, but when I asked him about it after your post, he looked into it
        and found out it is *habitable*, but not finished. It's capable of
        supporting three people right now. Eventually 7 people will occupy it for
        periods of 3-6 months. We aren't the only ones doing launches to go up
        there though. The Russians are doing it too. Half the launches have been
        completed, 20 out of 40.

        Pete doesn't really follow current space programs that closely; there's a
        reason he's a space *historian*. He used to follow current programs.
        They'd announce what they were going to do, and he thought it sounded
        really cool and he'd get all excited. Then six months later they
        announced they weren't going to do it after all. Or they announced they
        were scaling it back so much that it paled in comparison to his
        expectations. Or there was no announcement of anything; the project just
        never happened. No matter what happened, it was just one disappointment
        after another. It was just depressing, so he quit paying attention. By
        just paying attention to things that have already occurred, things are
        definite. There isn't going to be a change of plans. It can be a real
        challenge to dig up information, but he has fun doing that. The point is,
        once something has happened, it can't *unhappen*. Though with all the
        lies the government spreads, they sure try to alter history, don't they?
        Was it on this list or some other one where someone mentioned the huge
        number of Americans who now believe Iraqis flew into the WTC? Man, that's
        just Orwellian...

        Riin Gill
        Interlibrary Loan 734-615-6168
        Taubman Medical Library fax 734-763-1473
        University of Michigan
        If you were riding your bike, you'd be having fun by now.