Get there plenty early so you can fight for a parking space

  • John O. Andersen
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2002
      This Tuesday night, our son's school choir sings at the zoo. We got an instruction sheet from the choir director that we should plan to arrive plenty early so we can "fight for a parking space..."

      What this director failed to mention in the letter is the fact that the zoo is directly on the light rail line. In fact, the station there is an ultra modern underground station; absolutely world-class! It whisks people to ground level with large elevators. Passengers then exit just steps from the zoo entrance--even closer than most people can park!

      The light rail station is one stop away from a transit center, which is an award-winning park-n-ride bus/light rail center. People can park their cars there and get on the light rail in a snap.

      And there are yet two other options:

      1. From our neighborhood where most of the kids who attend our son's school live, there are two bus lines that run directly to the transit center. A short 6 minute bus ride and you're there. The two lines make it so there is a bus running from our neighborhood to the transit center every 15 minutes. Not a bad wait, huh?

      2. If you're into cycling, all of the light rail stations have well-lit bike racks. Just pedal there, lock up your bike, and jump on the train. Presto, you're at the zoo in no time.

      So I guess if we permit ourselves to think outside the box of using a car for all of our transportation needs, we don't need to fight for a parking space afterall.

      John Andersen
      Unconventional Ideas at http://www.unconventionalideas.com