RE: [CarFree] any non-drivers?

  • Helen Deborah Vecht
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2000
      I'm not sure if I'm a non-driver or not. I hold a full driving
      licence but have not driven since I passed my driving test in 1985.
      (That's not quite true; I had a few 'refresher' lessons in 1988 but
      only drove alone a few times) I have MS and should inform the
      licensing authority of this. They will probably then rescind and
      reissue my licence, which will then need regular renewal rather than
      remaining valid to age 70.

      The reality is I don't drive and I have arranged my life so that I
      don't need to drive.

      --
      Helen D. Vecht
      helenvecht@...

      Somewhere around North-West London
    • Louisd75@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2000
        I'm 19 and don't really want my license. I know how to drive dune buggies,
        go carts, dirtbikes and quads, and I don't think that driving a car would be
        much different, I just don't want all the hassle, expense, and damage that
        comes with owning a car. I also work next to the main post office in town
        and a busy intersection, and I constantly see the problems that cars create.
        I'm lucky in that my main job is a short bike ride away, but my other job can
        take from 1-4 hours to get to, depending on the time of day (public
        transportation is very sporadic in the late evening hours). I'm getting
        ready to start cycling at least one way...it's only about 30 miles, but I
        need to get panniers for my bike first since backpacks bother me on long road
        rides. I like to consider myself car free, but I do accept rides from
        friends, especially if they're goin in the same direction

        Louis
      • Francyne Pelchar
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2000

          > > What I want to know: is there anyone here who is in the somewhat
          > > unique (and maybe even unfortunate (?)) situation of being a
          > > non-driver? I am one of those people and I am trying to work around
          > > this obstacle.
          >
          > I don't have a license and haven't had one for about 10 years. I sold my car
          > when I got laid off a job which required it and 40% work-time travel around
          > Chicago. I changed fields, worked a mile or so from home and took public
          > transport. I just never particularly liked driving. Liked biking or sitting
          > on a bus or a train reading enroute to wherever better. My husband also took a
          > combo of public transport and company van to his job in the Chicago suburbs. A
          > van picked-up people at the end of the el line out near O'Hare Airport.

          We kept a car which we used for maybe 20% of our joint trips....distance
          shopping,late night clubbing, etc.and he used it to go camping. Most shopping was
          within walking distance, even our veterinarian was less than a half mile away and
          supermarkets delivered big orders!.

          Now we have to live in North Carolina because his job moved here. I bike to work
          and to minor errands, to the gym, to the library. However, because everything is
          so s-p-a-c-e-d o-u-t, I'd say we use the car on probably 85% of our shopping,
          errands, dogs to vet, etc. trips.

          Were I here on my own, I'd have to get a car. But, were it not for my husband's
          job, I'd never be in a place like this, so the "on my own" is a moot point!

          Francyne
          Durham, N.C.

          > GShortcut URL to this page:
          > http://www.onelist.com/community/CarFree
        • Whitney Turner
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2000
            I don't have *any* affiliation with Jandd, aside from being a very satisfied
            customer...

            Go to http://www.jandd.com/ and order a catalog. Go to your local bike shop and
            demand that they sell you what you want. Hopefully there's a Jandd dealer in
            the area already - if not, you can make a convert.

            If you don't have a pile of cash to spend on cloth panniers, go to
            http://www.olywa.net/leveen/cobbworks.html and order a set of bucket panniers -
            *waterproof* and cheap. Very nice, too, and you can put bumper stickers on
            them.

            Come to think of it, I don't have any affiliation with Cobbworks, either, but I
            did pattern my homemade bucket panniers on his....

            Whitney Turner

            Louisd75@... wrote:

            > From: Louisd75@...
            <snip>

            --
            Every time I see an adult on a bicycle,
            I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2000
              Life Beyond Cars" profiles a number of people who live outside cities
              and do not/cannot drive.

              is this a book ? Is it on the web?

              I roller skate I ride my bike don't ride no car
              don't go too fast but I go pretty far.
              CarFree and Proud to be
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 9, 2000
                On 8 Mar 00, at 21:22, buddhabuddha@... wrote:

                > Life Beyond Cars" profiles a number of people who live outside cities
                > and do not/cannot drive.
                >
                > is this a book ?

                Yes, a small one.

                > Is it on the web?

                No, but you can buy a copy from A to B magazine in something like
                the merchandise section. http://www.a2bmagazine.demon.co.uk
                The site has much useful advice, though some of this may be
                difficult in many parts of North America.

                The magazine is a good read for those who have a car
                minimised/free life.

                David Hansen | davidh@... | PGP email preferred
                Edinburgh | CI$ number 100024,3247 | key number F566DA0E