Re: [CF] Re: Good sources of statistics?

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1 4:53 AM
      On 30 Aug 2002 at 13:56, Lorenzo L. Love wrote:

      > With their oil used up, Arab nations would again be the backwater
      > countries they were pre-WWII.

      That rather depends how far back in history one goes.

      Parts of present day Iraq are one of the cradles of western
      "civilisation", including indirectly the USA. That was several
      thousand years ago, but it was still pre-WWII.

      When "civilised" Europe was going through the Dark Ages it was the
      "backwater countries" that kept mathematics alive. It was re-
      introduced via Spain from the southern shore of the Mediterranian.

      I will *always* explain why I revoke a key, unless the UK
      government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1 4:58 AM
        On 31 Aug 2002 at 4:05, purple_bovine wrote:

        > Speaking of clean hands, how many Palestinians believe the Jewish
        > people should be wiped off the face of the Earth, and how many Israeli
        > civilians have been killed for no other reason than that they were
        > Jews?

        Perhaps it would be best to take your disagreement off the list. One
        could re-write the passage I have quoted with the two groups of
        people reversed and it would be equally valid.

        Two groups of people who believe passionately that they are the
        victims of unjust oppression, with a sprinkling of nuts (some in
        positions of power) who believe being violent is the way to deal with
        the untermensch on the other side is a very sad situation. However,
        there are plenty of other places to discuss it.

        I will *always* explain why I revoke a key, unless the UK
        government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
      • purple_bovine
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4 12:38 PM
          --- In CarFree@y..., "David Hansen" <davidh@s...> wrote:
          > On 31 Aug 2002 at 4:05, purple_bovine wrote:
          >
          > > Speaking of clean hands, how many Palestinians believe the Jewish
          > > people should be wiped off the face of the Earth, and how many
          Israeli
          > > civilians have been killed for no other reason than that they were
          > > Jews?
          >
          > Perhaps it would be best to take your disagreement off the list.
          One
          > could re-write the passage I have quoted with the two groups of
          > people reversed and it would be equally valid.
          >
          > Two groups of people who believe passionately that they are the
          > victims of unjust oppression, with a sprinkling of nuts (some in
          > positions of power) who believe being violent is the way to deal
          with
          > the untermensch on the other side is a very sad situation. However,
          > there are plenty of other places to discuss it.

          Ah, but one couldn't. There's only one group that engages in suicide
          bombing of innocent civilians. There's only one group that wants to
          wipe the other off the face of the earth (don't believe me? Read
          their own newspapers). There's only one group that offered peace -
          only to have it scorned by the other, who redoubled their terror
          efforts. It would take some real twisting of the moral sense to see
          the two groups as equivalent. Fortunately for one of them, there are
          plenty of people who are willing to ignore facts and follow,
          sheeplike, whatever ideology is dished out.

          And I now withdraw from this discussion, as I think it is useless.
          To bring this back to cars, did you know that BMW had, on their
          website, a map of the Middle East with no Israel on it? They
          apologized and withdrew it when activists brought it to their
          attention - but can we see a connection there?

          LM