Re: [CF] Cold Heartled Elitist

  • John Snyder
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2002
      Hi Lornezo,

      Did someone take a swipe at you recently off this list, or
      put you down in some way? If so you have my sympathy.

      I know from first hand experience that classism exists, and
      that it can hurt a lot after one person has unjustly expressed
      disdain for the worthiness of another. It can be one of the main
      hurdles when choosing not to own and operate an automobile, or
      when taking up utilitarian bicycling as an adult.

      However, classism reflects a two-edged sword as recent
      and past world history shows far too clearly.

      Forgive me all for the following source; that is I
      recently came across a piece in the 1928 Book of Common
      Prayer of the American Episcopal Church, the Yankee flavor
      of the Church of England. The reason for sharing it here
      in this diverse forum is to provide a clue as to what
      some mainstreamed attitudes were like over seventy years
      ago.

      "...Deliver us we beseech thee, in our several callings
      from the service of mammon [money], that we do the
      work thou givest us to do, in truth, in beauty, and
      in righteousness, with singleness of heart as thy
      servants, and to the benefit of our fellow men..."

      Sounds like a fresh and reasonable goal to me, even when
      taken out of it's spiritual framework; work as a means
      to produce for the good of others rather than for self.

      John Snyder