Commuting & Shopping Tips

  • John Stickel
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2000
      Greetings and Salutations from Seattle.

      I was forwarded to your group from the nice folks at
      Bike Friday/Green Gear who make those weird and wholly
      rideable folding bikes.

      Simple question that I'd like to get learned input
      from y'all about....

      1.)
      What are some suggestions for hauling stuff -work
      clothes/groceries/massage tables- around with your
      bike?

      [...and extra credit for any insights into
      rain-proofing the goodies against our relentless
      natural resource here in Seattle.]

      2.)
      Other than never leaving your bike, what are some
      methods that have been successful for keeping your
      bikes theft-free?

      [Yes, I have tried riding the ugly duckling bike that
      nobody would want to steal- but I can't be riding
      around on a junker if I'm giving up my convertible for
      a bike- 'cause the salesman said that girls really
      like guys who ride dual suspension, titanium, Campy
      rigs. He wasn't wrong, was he?]
      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Gerald Gates
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2000
        I just can't keep quiet on this one John,

        The salesman steered you dead wrong - the girls like the guys with the convertible. Sorry.

        If you can find a girl who knows the difference between Campy and schmampy and who understands suspension and titanium vs. aluminum or steel, HANG ON TO HER! That would be a truly likeable woman. (I'm ducking here because I know there's at least ONE out there somewhere.) The few women I know who actually ride bikes are already taken. The other one bought a car.

        There's dozens of ways of carrying stuff on bikes. I'd have to say the most important thing to have is a rear rack onto which you can fasten loads of stuff - panniers, boxes, etc. Those "townie bags" available from Nashbar are HUGE and fold down compactly. Great for carrying stuff. Waterproof stuff with plastic bags. Cheap and they work.

        One more thing. Be sure a rack CAN be attached. I have a bike that APPEARS to have that capability but in actuality, it don't work so neatly. But, that's another story...

        Gerald Gates
        spokes@...
        Brunswick, GA
      • michael and karen dudley
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2000
          >1.)
          >What are some suggestions for hauling stuff -work
          >clothes/groceries/massage tables- around with your
          >bike?

          >[...and extra credit for any insights into
          >rain-proofing the goodies against our relentless
          >natural resource here in Seattle.]

          I've been commuting with dress clothes with some success with a home-made
          solution as follows:

          - This works quite well with ordinary rear panniers that are flush with the
          top of the rear rack, creating a large flat surface. Bungy cords are required

          - there are gym bags available with a detachable, rectangular clothes
          compartment on the bottom. I use this detachable section.

          -Find two firm boards to line the top and bottom to keep clothes flat. I
          use two stiff placemats

          - Take an appropriately-sized zippable plastic liner that sheets and other
          bedding come in

          - Sandwich your folded dress clothes between the boards, enclose in the
          zippable bag, then insert into the detached gym bag.

          - Lay atop rear panniers and bungy to bags and rack.

          >2.)
          >Other than never leaving your bike, what are some
          >methods that have been successful for keeping your
          >bikes theft-free?

          I bring it into my place of work whenever possible.

          >Forever. If you have any desires to sell your products or services
          >online, or you want to expand your customer base for FREE, Come check
          >out Shabang!com FREE eStores!
          >http://click.egroups.com/1/1299/1/_/_/_/951209486/
          >
          >Shortcut URL to this page:
          > http://www.onelist.com/community/CarFree

        • Lanyon, Ryan
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22, 2000

            There are a variety of trailers out there, some with closable lids
            to prevent the rain/elements from getting in. Personally, if I have a large
            grocery load to get, I ride to the store, load up the bags on my handlebars
            and walk my bike home. It distributes the weight nicely without hurting my
            arms or filling a backpack.

            For work clothes, if you have a place to keep them, it might be
            worthwhile to bring in a week's worth at a time, by taking the bus or
            carpooling once a week. That way you just carry them back home on your bike
            for washing.

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 22, 2000
              On 22 Feb 00, at 9:18, Lanyon, Ryan wrote:

              > There are a variety of trailers out there, some with closable lids to
              > prevent the rain/elements from getting in.

              Two Plus Two (http://www.twoplustwo.uk.com) will give an idea of what
              is available. Workbike has links to the web sites of most manufacturers
              that are on the web. http://www.workbike.org/makers/index.html

              David Hansen | davidh@... | PGP email preferred
              Edinburgh | CI$ number 100024,3247 | key number F566DA0E
            • Lanyon, Ryan
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 22, 2000

              • Neil Baker
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 22, 2000
                  Yes. I am looking for one of those dual suspension, titanium, Campy
                  rigs for my Sunday rides.

                  Neil Baker
                  Why do I ride my bike to work?
                  Because I can!