Re: [CF] Snobbery flourishes at every level of society

  • christopher riks
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2002
      Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote:
      http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep06.html

      =v= Well, if there's no stopping snobbery, we've got to find
      a way to decouple it from cars. That's why some people are
      inclined to stress the scientifically-proven direct correlation
      between vehicle size and genital inadequacy.

      How would you know? Have you seen these people naked to make a personal observation?
      <_Jym_>

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      To change your settings or read the CarFree archive:
      For problems email=> CarFree-owners@yahoogroups.com

    • christopher riks
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2002
        Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote:
        http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep06.html

        =v= Well, if there's no stopping snobbery, we've got to find
        a way to decouple it from cars. That's why some people are
        inclined to stress the scientifically-proven direct correlation
        between vehicle size and genital inadequacy.

        How would you know? Have you seen these people naked to make a direct observation?
        <_Jym_>

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        To change your settings or read the CarFree archive:
        For problems email=> CarFree-owners@yahoogroups.com

      • purple_bovine
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2002
          --- In CarFree@y..., Jym Dyer <jym@e...> wrote:
          > http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep06.html
          >
          > =v= Well, if there's no stopping snobbery, we've got to find
          > a way to decouple it from cars. That's why some people are
          > inclined to stress the scientifically-proven direct correlation
          > between vehicle size and genital inadequacy.
          > <_Jym_>

          Does this apply to bicycles, too?

          :)

          LM
        • Lorenzo L. Love
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2002
            gabriel hogan wrote:

            > Also plenty of people riding $1200 bikes who snicker
            > <BR>
            > at the thought of anyone riding a cheapie Huffy
            > bike.  Snobbery IS at <BR>
            > all levels of society.<BR>
            > <
            > Then I will have the last laugh when his 1200$ bike is
            > stolen at the same time my 100$ bike is stolen.

            Huffys are the perfect bicycle for a lot of people. The average bicycle
            owner (as opposed to the average bicyclist) may only ride their bike a
            few miles a year. Why spend more? And all those bikes rusting in the
            yard? Huffys rust as well as any. And if you are going to get your bike
            stolen, Huffy is definitely the way to go. I know someone who has had
            his $150 Walmart fully suspended mountain bike stolen five times. He
            either finds it abandoned in the street or picks it up from police
            impound after they found it abandoned. That's not likely to happen with
            a expensive bike. And with proper maintenance even a Huffy can be
            excellent transportation, if the only other choice is walking. Nothing
            wrong with Huffys. They're good bikes for their cost IF you take care of
            them. Twenty people on well maintained $100 Huffys riding to work are
            better then one person on a $2000 bike trying to impress his neighbor.

            Lorenzo L. Love
            http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

            "We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and
            security may come at a substantial price in freedom, that law and order
            can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual liberties
            surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost."
            Walter Cronkite, in the preface to the 1984 edition of 1984
          • theillusionist1
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 2002
              I second Lorenzo's comment here. I personally ride a fancy,
              expensive bike, a streamliner with electric power-assist. When I
              teach people about safe and effective cycling, though, I make it a
              point to ride my old $50 beater bike. I think it is vital that
              people who consider using a bike for transportation understand that
              it does NOT require a fancy, expensive bike.

              Of course, once one uses a bicycle as primary transportation for a
              few years, logging thousands of miles riding year round in rain and
              yuck, one will likely be QUITE WILLING to spend the extra money on a
              nicer bike. That was the motivation that drove me to design, build,
              ride, and sell (I made a sale today!) bikes that 1.) Keep the rider
              warm and dry in winter rain 2.) Dramatically increase practical range
              3.) Are very comfortable to ride for hours on end 4.) Flatten steep
              hills into gentle hills 5.) Make cycling for transportation easier,
              fundamentally safer, and more pleasant.

              Still, none of that is required, it is all convenience. The fanciest
              bike is no use at all if one can not get around effectively on a
              Huffy. Those of us who DO ride fancy bikes would be wise to ride a
              Huffy every now and then ;-)

              Regards,

              Bruce Stephenson
              bruce@...