re: [CF] Bike paths

  • Michael Graff
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2002
      Cameron Dalton <murraymeisner2002@...> wrote:
      __________
      > I have found that if I maintain a
      >big enough presence staying visible to all and
      >following most of the rules of the road that I get
      >more respect from other vehicles than the idiots on
      >the pathways. I have occasionally got a horn honked at
      >me but it is minor compared to the frustration from
      >the bike paths.

      "most of the rules"? I'm curious which ones you don't follow, and if that correlates with the horn honks.

      >Therefore even though it might
      >technically be safer on the paths, I am much more
      >comfortable sharing the road with motor vehicles and I
      >get to where I am going faster on a more direct route.

      It might not actually be technically safer on the paths, especially as you describe them, and for all the reasons you gave. It depends on the design of the path and the nature of the path users.
    • bill norman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2002
        "most of the rules"?  I'm curious which
        ones you don't follow, and if that correlates with the
        horn honks.<BR>

        <BR>
        &Lighten up. I was referring to riding on the sidewalk
        for very short distances before moving back to the
        road. Sometimes it is necessary as long as it is done
        in a safe manner repecting the rights of those who
        have a legal right to be there.As far as the
        honks,this refers to the car drivers that think I do
        not have a right to be in a legal position which may
        hinder their ablity to get where they are going two
        minutes faster. Besides, are you telling me that you
        follow societies rules and laws to the letter? No one
        does because to do so makes you some kind of
        superhuman. The key is to not let your rule breaking
        interfere with the rights of others.

        Post your ad for free now! http://personals.yahoo.ca
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 30, 2002
          >> I have found that it is very frustrating to share the pathway
          >> system with others that don't obey any rules. [Unleashed]
          >> dogs, children not kept in check by parents, wanderers and
          >> sightseers changing direction crossing the yellow center line
          >> without looking and then blaming you for not using your bell.
          >> Walkers, joggers, cyclists, rollerbladers and skateboarders
          >> just do not mix together.

          =v= The underlying issue here is that most "multi-use paths" are
          designed for recreation, not transportation. This is true even
          though the funding for them often comes from transportation,
          or even when they're created specifically to mitigate the air
          pollution that will result from a road-building or -widening
          project.

          =v= Not all of them are, though the ones that actually work are
          few in the U.S. (San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge comes to
          mind, as do many of the paths in Davis, California). They work
          better where there are greater numbers of people using bikes for
          transportation.

          > I believe that in the USA the book to read is "Effective
          > cycling" by John Forrester which explains why this is the
          > case. I have never read or seen it myself.

          =v= Good advice in that book, though I think it's too dogmatic.
          Not all bike paths (or bike lanes) are created equal, and he
          tends to lump them all together and castigate them as a class.

          =v= Also, it's not accurate that bike paths are more dangerous
          than roads. The greatest danger with paths are at the points
          where they intersect with roads! Whether paths can be built
          with sufficient safety and transportational value is really a
          political issue.
          <_Jym_>
        • ricky kraeling
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 30, 2002
            I tend to agree with Bill regarding the honks one
            sometimes gets while riding on the road. I follow the
            rules of the road and have only recieved two speeding
            tickets in a vehicle, in over thirty years.
            Occasionally there are the odd rude impatient people
            who honk at me. I'm sure that even the really
            professional bike riders on their Campagnolo, Dura
            Aced derailleured Colnago's or Zeus's get honked at
            occasionally. When I see these people riding on the
            roads I always have to defer to there skill which is
            greater than mine and admire how they mix with
            traffic. If I was a professional rick shaw driver and
            following all the rules I would probably get rude
            gestures as well.
            Ricky

            http://health.yahoo.com