Warm Living

  • Brian Earl Watkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2002
      Greenjeans sez:

      > What I don't understand is how a city like Las Vegas can exist, and
      > yet it still is the fastest growing city in the US today! Since
      > they're right in the middle of the desert, how much water do they
      > need to bring in each day just to keep things from drying up?

      Las Vegas has a population of around one million (it's hard to
      keep careful track with all those suburbs popping up all the
      time).

      Each person needs about twenty gallons of water a day for
      culinary and household use. Triple that to include a
      generous lawn and industrial/public/golf uses. That makes
      60 gallons per day per person or about 20 000 gallons per
      year.

      20 000 /person / year x 1 000 000 persons = 20 billion gal/year

      Nevada's allocation of water from Mead Reservoir is 300 000
      acre feet of water per year. An acre foot is just under
      400 000 gallons.

      300 000 acre feet * 400 000 gallons/af = 120 billion gal/year

      I expect Las Vegas will continue growing as long as California's
      government can keep screwing things up in L.A.

      -B. Earl Watkins