Cycling advocates needing inspiration for struggle!

  • smca013@ec.auckland.ac.nz
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2002
      Dear carfree people

      I'm wondering what words of wisdom any experienced lobbyists out there can
      share.
      How do you deal with people stuck in a monolithic system that won't see things
      any other way? (they seem to view the world thru their windscreen and steering
      wheel)
      Example, a cycling advocate meeting with an individual politician, the latter
      being clearly caught up in ego, and known to be very very wealthy.

      Politicians are supposed to be able to change the way society operates, but
      many can't / won't hear what cycling and public transport advocates have to
      say. Or, they only change thing that increase the advantages their Gang has
      over the rest of us.
      What strategies have worked in the past, in getting that kind of politician to
      hear our message? Is it possible?

      Sally McAra
      New Zealand