caar free with a kid!!

  • diipaka@irelands-web.ie
      To: CarFree@onelist.com
      Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 16:53:40 -0500
      From: dank <kavanagh@...>
      Subject: [CarFree] All amped up and nowhere to go.
      (http://aachalon.de/AMaViS/)

      From: dank <kavanagh@...>

      hi dan..

      lovely word you wrote..great to see cycle technology advancing....at
      present my family are bike pwered...with our two year old son sitting at
      the back...we have a range of circa 15 miles in a day...and makes for
      interesting Sunday rides...getting there is half the fun!!

      I was a cycle courier in Munich Germany for two years...well two Winters is
      more like it. Having raced bikes for nearly ten years in Ireland, land of
      my birth, I rode fast, as fast as possible. Of course I drew the wrath of
      many a driver...in fact I got a kind of enjoyment out of it...but this
      anger was seeping into my day to day life..although I did not have much..i
      rode up to 10 hours a day mon-fri and the weekends too for
      "relaxing"....anyway...i changed my way of riding. It is a similar ethos
      to Tai-chi...flow.flow. Instead of becoming angry with cars for cutting me
      off, I went around the back...no confrontation at all..and of course I felt
      alot better, wasn't so grumpy when I got home..etc...and without doing any
      more work I had a bigger take home pay...

      Biking has shown me so much, given me a healthy way to exercise....
      I work in the environment in Ireland...
      trying to help Dublin become more bicycle friendly..as it clogs with 400
      new cars a week.

      dave

      Hello All,

      I have been reflecting on the type of thing that budddha mentioned, in
      relation to experiences that my friends and I have experienced over the
      last year or so. Things like road rage and personal violence that has been
      aimed at us, who for the most part are innocent of any provocation.

      I think the stress of traffic combined with hectic personal schedules
      make for the constant fight or flight response. I think the real kicker is
      the lack of matching physical exertion to go with the adrenalin surge. So
      people go to the gym to exersize and drink to "unwind". It is all so
      fractionalized, with emotion and action divorced from each other. I think
      people sense the futility of it all and are unable to feel anything but
      anger at a system that is so callous to the individual.

      But to change ones self and pick a new direction or mode is to leave the
      common misery to the uncharted world of personal responsibilty. My personal
      undestanding of the whole mess is this: Mental health is only possible if
      you personally choose your motivation and goal. If you drive yourself, you
      control your own fate. Which is not to say that you will become immune to
      random events, but you will no longer be trying to fill a sense of
      emptyness that our mass market driven consumer society not only created,
      but has a vested interest in maintaining.

      So simply, are your motivations driven by your own personal belief system
      or are you doing what you are told with out even knowing it?

      A word about me: I own an old vehicle which I use for my business, I do
      not commute because my time is too valueable and I make a living making
      bicycles because I am choosing to be part of the solution in a way that
      fulfills me and satisfys my vision of the future.

      Dan

      CarFree@onelist.com wrote:

      > Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple. Click Here!

      > Shortcut URL to this page:
      > http://www.onelist.com/community/CarFree
      >
      > There is 1 message in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in today's digest:
      >
      > 1. random acts of violence
      > From: buddhabuddha@... (buddha)

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 18:23:40 -0500 (EST)
      > From: buddhabuddha@... (buddha)
      > Subject: random acts of violence
      >
      > I fell we can pretty well state the advent of the car led to the decline
      > of neighborhoods. Can we extend the thinking and say that the car is
      > responsbile for the RAV we are seing today.
      > I for one find that since I went carfree I know many more people in the
      > neighborhood. And you are less likely to RAV those whom you know.
      >
      > budddha
      >
      > I roller skate I ride my bike don't ride no car
      > don't go to fast but I go pretty far.
      > CarFree and Proud to be

      ___

      ___