Gated Communities

  • Stuart H. Krantz
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2000
      2/9/2000

      Gated Communities force people into their automobiles. For simplification,
      here is my example. Two large gated communities, each 1 mile square.
      Separated by a public thoroughfare, they are back to back with their
      entrances extremely opposite each other. Two friends live just inside the
      wall that is adjacent to the public thoroughfare. Without the walls, they
      could cross the road to see each other. Because of the walls, they must go
      at least four miles to see each other.

      Legislate a required pedestrian/bicycle opening every 1/4 mile, either
      locked or unlocked, to be put into any wall which abuts a public
      thoroughfare.

      (This doesn't apply directly to gated communities but needs to be addressed
      at the same time.) Require that back to back cul-de-sac's (in communities
      without gates) have a pedestrian/bicycle connection.

      Supposedly, Fort Collins Colorado has legislation requiring openings in the
      walls of any gated community.

      StuartKrantz
      stuartkrantz@...