Re: [CF] Sport Utility Bikes...

  • De Clarke
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2002
      Bill Volk (bvolk@...) wrote:
      > Xtracycle...
      >
      > http://xtracycle.com/
      >
      > Sort of an extended Wheelbase MTB with a lot of cargo capacity.

      I've got one

      http://www.ucolick.org/~de/AltTrans/FreeRadical.html

      and I'm very fond of it. it's been a huge success. it has a few
      weaknesses, and it might be a bit restrictive for a pro bike cargo
      courier service -- for some big stuff you really need a trailer or
      a purpose-built trike or quad. but the proof of the puddin' is that
      I have not used either of my trailers since I built the "Frankenbike".
      it has exceeded my expectations.

      > http://xtracycle.com/product/accessories.html#

      yeah, unfortunately they didn't send me any freebies when I
      bought the kit :-( I'd have liked some of those stickers.
      maybe I'll break down and buy some.

      de

      :Mail: de@... | :
      :Web: www.ucolick.org | Don't Fear the Penguins :
      :1024D/B9C9E76E F892 5F17 8E0A F095 05CD EE8B D169 EDAA B9C9 E76E:
    • ensignaurora
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2002
        We-ll.......

        funny this article should come up. As I was apartment cleaning, I came
        across this article on Matamorda (sp?) Island. The writer was saying
        of what a great camping trip it was and of hardly anyone around and no
        cars except those of the park service and how he wished he brought his
        bike.

        I was hooked! Well, not by that. I went there once as part of a field
        trip and have wanted to return for a while. Two days without seeing
        anyone on the coast? Sounds like the thing for me.

        But as that it is camping, one should be properally stocked. And then
        we get into how to carry the stuff. Bag, tent, personal stuff, food,
        and most importantly, water. Figuring at least a gallon a day, that's
        16 lbs of it. How many bottles? Where do you carry it? Frame,
        backpack, saddle bags?

        At any rate, I'm not going tomarrow. I'm figuring at least two other
        runs before such a quest. Say a day trip to the Island and another
        camping trip to a park somewhat closer. [and of course, calling ahead
        and talking to the station there!].

        I want to be a wilderness cop; I figure it would help if I get into
        camping a little bit instead of just reading about it.

        -Traci
      • De Clarke
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2002
          ensignaurora (tappants@...) wrote:

          > But as that it is camping, one should be properally stocked. And then
          > we get into how to carry the stuff. Bag, tent, personal stuff, food,
          > and most importantly, water. Figuring at least a gallon a day, that's
          > 16 lbs of it. How many bottles? Where do you carry it? Frame,
          > backpack, saddle bags?

          check out pic

          http://www.re-cycle.org/shop/xtracyclefaq.html