bad weather

  • JAS
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2000
      Just a random thought I've been having these last few snow days in DC-- if
      people weren't so obsessed with driving their cars everywhere, getting the
      streets cleared would be a non-issue. While I wasn't daring (or stupid?)
      enough to ride my bike through snowy/slushy streets, many did. I had no
      problem getting to where I needed to go by walking or taking the subway.
      The only inconvenince for me is that I can't get to the grocery store to
      do a big shop since I usually carry my groceries via bike. However, I had
      plenty of food in the house so it hardly constituted an emergency. While
      I was mildly annoyed that I had to stay home from work for 2 days :), I
      felt a lot more comfortable that people weren't out there trying to drive.

      (In case you weren't aware, DC got 12+ inches of snow in one night last
      week and everything was shut down for two days, including the federal
      government (where I work). We got a lot of snow/sleet/freezing rain
      yesterday and most schools are closed today. You'll be happy to know that
      the government is on duty.)

      Jennifer