"california" turn

  • Easy Living Services
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2000
      Regarding the so called "california" turn. There seems to be a lot of
      different sensors out there for traffic regulation. Our state
      (Wisconsin) usually goes with the weight sensor. Bicyclists are not
      heavy enough. The proper thing to do is wait until traffic allows, and
      go. It is legal to do this. The sensor is at fault. Follow Lorenzo
      advise from #81. Some sensors work by metal. If you have a steel bike,
      sometimes leaning it over will trip the sensor. This does not work on my
      carbon fiber road racer, or my aluminum touring bike. The going up onto
      the sidewalk, curb, doing trick maneuvers to hit the button are all very
      unprofessional and dangerous. Do not do that! It gives all cyclist a bad
      rap. Bicyclist fare best when they act and are treated as drivers of
      motor vehicles.
      Ride on.....
      Mike Gerke
      Easy Living Services & Pedicab
      Green Bay WI
      http://www.execpc.com/~ezliving
    • wgilmore@concentric.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2000
        A recent discussion on bikes and turn signals took place on the
        Touring and Chainguard mailing list. Similar sentiments as those
        expressed here were expressed. Bikes often are incapable of
        triggering the light detectors and it thus becomes necessary for us
        to remonstrate appropriately with the powers-that-be.

        This is an excellent opportunity to become a transportational
        activist! Alert the local rulers that non-automotive vehicles should
        be taken into account when designing traffic devices.

        Ride on!

        gil