RE: [CF] Segway (What A Stupid Name)

  • Fitzsimmons, Diane
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2001

      I can't remember if it was in this article or another I read, but he claims
      that bicycles can "integrate" on the sidewalk as well as a Segway.

      I personally think, at 12mph a clip, the Segway will pose just as many
      problems to pedestrians, as Jym has expressed.

      Once again, I also read (this article?) that he envisions large "car-free"
      urban zones, where only bikes, mass trans and Segways would be allowed.

      > > My ever-skeptical teen-age daughter says, "Yeah, but I still
      > > can't haul my cello on it."
      >
      > =v= They're claiming it'll haul a 250lb passenger with 75lbs of
      > cargo, and a "Future Offboard Cargo Module" (I guess that means
      > a trailer) will carry over 300lbs.
      > <_Jym_>

      Looking at how it is designed now, it is hard for me to imagine, once again
      a cello strapped to her bike going 12 mph and doing it without damaging the
      cello. The instrument can be pretty finicky, and it doesn't take much to
      dislodge a soundboard.

      I also wonder if a helmet is advised.

      Diane