Re: [CF] Cabs an alternative?

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2001
      =v= I guess cabs are an alternative if the goal is just to
      be car-free and not have to hassle with things like driving,
      storing, fueling, insuring and maintaining a car. It could
      of course be more economical, in an out-of-pocket sense.

      =v= If, like me, your goal is to be car-free for ecological
      reasons, then cabs bring up issues. I live in a city where cabs
      aren't that popular, so a cab ride usually means somebody would
      have to drive a few miles just to get to me, and drive a few
      miles more from my dropoff point to the next fare. Most taxis
      are gas-guzzlers, and they're just getting bigger and bigger.

      =v= In a city like New York you can generally walk over to the
      street and hail a taxi, so there's less wasted gas, but traffic
      aboveground is such a mess (and about 50% taxis) that you often
      end up sitting there idling. I can't tell which is worse. Lots
      of New Yorkers are able to live car-free, though they use taxis.

      =v= I try to keep my cab use to a bare minimum.
      <_Jym_>
    • De Clarke
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2001
        Jym Dyer (jym@...) wrote:

        > =v= If, like me, your goal is to be car-free for ecological
        > reasons, then cabs bring up issues. I live in a city where cabs
        > aren't that popular, so a cab ride usually means somebody would
        > have to drive a few miles just to get to me, and drive a few
        > miles more from my dropoff point to the next fare. Most taxis
        > are gas-guzzlers, and they're just getting bigger and bigger.

        it used to be that independent cabbies drove all kinds of individual
        vehicles in the UK and even in the US. I can remember getting taxi
        rides in a Mini, a Hyundai, etc.

        but the big cab companies seem to impose a "standard vehicle" which
        is always the Giant Oversprung American Sedan. the only real
        eco-advantage I can see over the private auto is that at least
        the taxi's engine is almost always warmed up... this is not a
        small advantage when it comes to emissions; a cold auto engine
        is very inefficient, spews unburnt fuel out the tail pipe, and
        generally emits many times more pollutants per mile than a
        warmed-up engine.

        > =v= I try to keep my cab use to a bare minimum.

        moi aussi, but using one now and then I think is a WAY smaller
        impact than owning a car... they do say just in being manufactured
        a car emits 1/3 of all the greenhouse gases it will emit during its
        entire existence; so for one manufactured car to serve N people
        instead of 1 person is a big win (at least on the greenhouse
        front). convenient cab service could potentially reduce the ratio
        of cars to people, and that's worth something, no? OTOH cab
        drivers are "on the clock" and are often accused of driving
        dangerously and being more of a hazard to peds and bikes even
        than non-professional drivers.

        de

        :Mail: de@... | :
        :Web: www.ucolick.org | Don't Fear the Penguins :
        :1024D/B9C9E76E F892 5F17 8E0A F095 05CD EE8B D169 EDAA B9C9 E76E: