RE: [CF] Re: [CarFree] Bike stickers?

  • Fahrion, Jason L
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5 2:22 PM
      how about "This is your country on OPEC, any questions?"

      or "The Legacy of Oil: Exxon Valdez and NYC."

      or "This world has been brought to you by the Corporations for Corporate

      or "Dinosaurs in Tar: the makers and users of Oil."

      or "They Don't Care" (I like this one for being very general and applicable
      to almost every situation)

      Jason Fahrion
    • De Clarke
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5 3:10 PM
        I suggest

        "Ski Jumping down Hubbert's Peak"

        btw, good recent book: _Hubbert's Peak_ by Kenneth Deffeyes.
        I just read it this weekend.

        It's an eminently readable, even amusing tour of the oil
        industry: how exploration and extraction are achieved, plus an
        overview of the substantiating evidence for M King Hubbert's
        model of the productivity curve of world oil reserves.

        Deffeyes is not exactly a car-free type: early on, he disses
        bicycles and organic agriculture (just to make sure,
        presumably, that his readers know he isn't any kind of long-
        haired hippie radical!) -- he makes a pitch for nuclear power
        which to me seems a bit naive (though his assertion that the
        CANDU reactor design is superior to the American tradition
        seems pretty sound). But apart from these ideological
        digressions, his history of the oil and petrochemical industry
        (from an insider's perspective) and his description of the
        geology behind oil exploration are fascinating.

        So also is his calm, unflurried, though a bit testy (because no
        one's listening!) acceptance of the fact that world oil
        production is going to peak real soon now -- I mean *real*
        soon, like between 2004 and 2009. As he says, "Get used to it."
        He also says, matter-of-factly, that the 'bidding war' for the
        last few billion barrels of oil in the ground is just starting,
        "and let's hope that it is waged with dollars rather than
        bombs." I think at this point it's already being waged with

        This book (Princeton University Press) may just lift the
        discussion of "the end of oil" out of a unequal combat between
        environmentalist radicals (easy for the establishment to
        silence, diss, and dismiss) and "respectable people", and into
        the realm of acknowledged problems that require serious
        planning effort, revisions of political agenda, etc. He's not
        saying anything Lundberg hasn't been saying for a decade, but
        he's saying it with heavier credentials (as a tenured Princeton
        geology professor *and* an ex-oil-industry scientist).

        Oil is, as Deffeyes points out more than once, far too precious
        to burn. in one poignant and amusing moment he imagines our
        great-grandchildren looking back in shock and horror: "All
        those lovely long carbon chains -- you just *burned* them?"
        Yes, we just burned them. Almost all of them, in only a
        hundred-odd years.

        :Mail: de@... | :
        :Web: www.ucolick.org | Don't Fear the Penguins :