Re: [CarFree] getting around in snow

  • Michel Gagnon
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 30, 2001
      michelle@... wrote:

      > I have just moved to a small town in Illinois, with no bus service
      > on Sundays. I will occasionally need to travel approx. 7 miles
      > (each way), and winter is just around the corner...
      >
      > Any suggestions on a good carfree way to travel that distance in
      > snow?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Michelle

      Not sure about your cycling skills and habits, and although this might not
      be the best time to _start_ cycling, it is a good way to get around in
      Winter. You might take a look at http://www.icebike.org and at the Icebike
      list (details on the web site) for info. on the subject.

      BTW, apart from warm clothing (especially layers you can peel off), you
      don't need much special bike equipment for _most_ of the time. Good
      headlight and taillight are a must, and you must be willing to take a taxi
      or enroll a friend if it's -40 C or if there is a snowstorm.

      Regards,

      --

      Michel Gagnon -- mailto:MichelGagnon@...
      Montréal (Québec, Canada)
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
        michelle@... wrote:
        > I have just moved to a small town in Illinois, with no bus service
        > on Sundays. I will occasionally need to travel approx. 7 miles
        > (each way), and winter is just around the corner...
        >
        > Any suggestions on a good carfree way to travel that distance in
        > snow? (Also with having to carry a backpack or musical
        > instrument on my back)?

        I have to ask how far north or south in Illinois? It makes
        a big big difference.

        In Southern Ill. you'll hardly ever have to deal with
        significant snow, but will instead have ice on the road,
        which can be very dangerous.

        In the north you'll be riding through snow which actually
        makes very nice surface to ride on.

        Either way your main problem is not the road surface, but
        the wind. If you are in an open area with few buildings or
        trees you will need a ski mask, or better a head stocking
        (availible at most bike shops) which fits under your helmet.
        If you wear glasses try to come up with an arraingment that
        keeps your breath from fogging them. It can be done, but I
        don't really know how to explain it.

        I used to wear an extreme arctic wear parka durning January
        and February, but I'd find myself opening the front a bit to
        let some of the cold air in after riding a quarter mile or
        so. Still, it's good to have if you wind up walking a bit
        after parking the bike.

        Get *several* pair of good gloves. You don't want to be
        stuck without them if you misplace one.

        Mark

        --
        -- mark at geekhive dot net
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
          On 30 Sep 2001 at 20:07, michelle@... wrote:

          > I will occasionally need to travel approx. 7 miles (each
          > way), and winter is just around the corner...
          >
          > Any suggestions on a good carfree way to travel that distance in snow?
          > (Also with having to carry a backpack or musical instrument on my
          > back)?

          Occasionally is a problem. If you wanted to do it regularly then the obvious solution is a
          transporter bike, such as http://www.nihola.dk Trikes are much better in snow than bikes.

          For an occasional journey such a bike might be an expensive luxury. However, it may be that you
          end up using it all the time, for shopping and the like. It will not be suitable for very hilly areas and
          you will need somewhere to store it.

          Why carry things on yor back when they can be carried in the barrel of a Nihola?

          --
          David Hansen | davidh@... | PGP email preferred
          Edinburgh | CI$ number 100024,3247 | key number F566DA0E
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
            Cross country skiing can be a good alternative in
            snowy weather, especially if it is a hilly area and
            after a big snow.
            -Nan
            Minneapolis, Minnesota
            --- michelle@... wrote:
            > I have just moved to a small town in Illinois, with
            > no bus service
            > on Sundays. I will occasionally need to travel
            > approx. 7 miles
            > (each way), and winter is just around the corner...
            >
            > Any suggestions on a good carfree way to travel that
            > distance in
            > snow? (Also with having to carry a backpack or
            > musical
            > instrument on my back)?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Michelle

            http://phone.yahoo.com
          • Bill Volk
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
              Michelle asks:

              >I have just moved to a small town in Illinois, with no bus service
              >on Sundays. I will occasionally need to travel approx. 7 miles
              >(each way), and winter is just around the corner...

              >Any suggestions on a good carfree way to travel that distance in
              >snow?

              Depending on your finanical resources ... you might want to consider a
              'velomobile' (human powered enclosed trike or 4 wheeler).

              http://www.leitra.dk/

              Sure it's expensive, but it's cheaper than a car!

              Or you could build your own ;-)

              Bill
            • De Clarke
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001

                >> Occasionally is a problem. If you wanted to do it regularly then the obvious solution is a
                >> transporter bike, such as http://www.nihola.dk Trikes are much better in snow than bikes.

                Looks interesting but I find the site completely
                dysfunctional -- menu items do nothing. presumably
                it is complete javascripted and inaccessible otherwise?
                pity.

                de

                :Mail: de@... | :
                :Web: www.ucolick.org | Don't Fear the Penguins :
              • De Clarke
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
                  http://www.truestupidity.com/driving_school.htm

                  could be urban legends, but it's interesting that this
                  kind of thinking is prevalent enough to become a genre
                  of humour.

                  -------------------

                  And for the Department of Life's Little Ironies:

                  This weekend there was a triathlon in my area -- Sunday.

                  It was a bike/run/swim event. Roads were closed. My
                  neighbourhood was, guess what, parked up to the gills with
                  people who (a) came to see the event, (b) participated in
                  the event. The streets were swarming with cyclists when
                  I set out on my own errands for the day -- but they were
                  all going back to their cars, trucks, and SUVs to load
                  their very expensive racing bikes back on the racks and
                  drive who-knows-how-many miles home.

                  This "cycling" event tripled or quadrupled the number of
                  cars in my neighbourhood for the day.

                  After I negotiated the huge traffic jam generated by people
                  leaving as the event had terminated, I was taking a teeny
                  slice of the vehicle lane on a stretch of road where the
                  so-called bike lane has been soft-patched into a torture
                  test for suspension fames, *and* is full of smashed liquor
                  bottles from motorist tailgate parties. A large white
                  van passed me with only inches to spare, and an officious
                  young man said (civilly but reprovingly), "There is a bike
                  lane right over there, you know."

                  With a struggle I matched his semi-polite tone and said,
                  "Yes, thank you, I had noticed. And it's full of broken
                  glass."

                  "Oh. Ummm, oh, OK, sorry," he said, and the van roared off
                  -- with three bikes or more in the back, and occupied by
                  sweaty, happy recent triathletes.

                  Interesting that "cyclists" once they get into their cars
                  literally *become* drivers, and start dissing other cyclists.
                  If he had been on his bike he would have seen the glitter
                  of shattered glass just jumping out at him in the bright
                  noonday sun; but as a driver (or passenger in his case)
                  he only saw the cyclist "in the wrong place" and felt
                  compelled to "correct" the erring peon's behaviour.

                  You are what you drive?

                  de

                  :Mail: de@... | :
                  :Web: www.ucolick.org | Don't Fear the Penguins :
                • John Snyder
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
                    Bill wrote:

                    > Sure it's [a Lietra] expensive, but it's cheaper
                    > than a car!

                    Bill, we might add a qualifier, "...cheaper than a new
                    car."

                    John Snyder
                  • Bill Volk
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
                      Over 10 years ... assuming 5000 miles a year (I do cycle more than that).
                      I'd hazard to guess the T.C.O. (Total Cost of Ownership) of the Lietra, even
                      if purchased for full retail with the fuzzy-dice option ... would run less
                      than ANY auto ... run for the same miles.

                      Yes, you can buy a decent used car for less than this bike. You could also
                      put together your own "velomobile" using one of the cheap trike kits (saw
                      these folks at the People Movers Ride) and build your own.

                      Still, if you want long term low-cost transport ... the Lietra could pay for
                      itself ...

                      Bill
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
                        Yes- this is a classic phenomenon.
                        Happens here alot.
                        Even the best of intentions becomes secondary when a serious
                        addiction is involved.
                        It might be interesting to stage a critical mass just before one of
                        these event! That might be the only way to get though and start some
                        almost-dead (hopefully only almost...) brain cells functioning
                        again....
                        DaveS
                      • nocarsdave@clarityconnect.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
                          --- In CarFree@y..., nocarsdave@c... wrote:
                          > Yes- this is a classic phenomenon.
                          > Happens here alot.
                          > Even the best of intentions becomes secondary when a serious
                          > addiction is involved.
                          > It might be interesting to stage a critical mass just before one of
                          > these event! That might be the only way to get though and start some
                          > almost-dead (hopefully only almost...) brain cells functioning
                          > again....
                          > DaveS

                          I guess I should have left the text in here-sorry. I'm talking about
                          the phenomenon someone noted in a message back a couple of pages-- that
                          "bike events" too often seem to induce MORE traffic, since people put
                          their bikes in their cars and f'ing DRIVE to the starting point...
                        • John Snyder
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                            I've gone through this excercise too many times, comparing the
                            operating costs of a used car to the various upscale HPVs. It's
                            a part of my wishful human-powered-centric evangelism. Not a
                            single-one of our fine neighbors has seen glorious light for
                            more than a month at a time. In part this is because the old
                            cars tend too often to do well in terms of manageble
                            out-of-pocket expenses. Rats. Potential money savings is not
                            always the best pry bar to help another person discover the
                            benefits and advantages of self-mobility.

                            Start with a $500 to $1,000 purchase price for a small 10
                            year old automobile with a beat up body but otherwise good
                            mechanical condition. Insurance for an adult driver without
                            prior claims will run approximately $275 per year. Taxes and
                            tags (these are all Montana figures) add in another $30/yr. With
                            fuel selling at $1.30 per gallon, 5,000 miles per year at 35
                            mpg requires about $185.71/yr. Tack in at minimum $200 per
                            year for maintance. The spreadsheet sez'; this scenario
                            results in a highly optimistic $65.80/month average cost, or
                            $7,897 T.C.O. for the ten years. So, for the same number
                            of miles the lovely one-seater Lietra imported from Denmark
                            would likely finish, in terms of costs over ten years, in a
                            near dead heat with an old-beater automobile. However, I
                            suspect a more realistic break even point would happen
                            closer to 7 or 8 years, baring any major accidents.

                            Even seven years is long time to gamble on having such an
                            investment pay off, obviously not an entry level option.
                            When comparing against an older used car (or small motor
                            scooter) as basic transportation, even the HPVs in the
                            $2,000 to $3,000 range will ask for approximately two to
                            three years before begining to pass on savings to the
                            owner. The money situation with the high end bikes and
                            trikes is not unlike converting a house to solar
                            electricity, e.g., a long term commitment mixed
                            in with a bit of luck. In my opinion if a person
                            wants an expensive or better than average item,
                            desire is the only rational needed to be given.

                            A constrast point; The WalMart flyer that came in this week's
                            mail, advertises adult 18-speed, front suspension bikes for $75.
                            This has been a grumble of sorts, because I've been typically
                            spending conciderably more than $100 per year per bike in our
                            stable on replacement parts and the other whatnots which wear
                            out constantly. Ah, but a good fitting cycle with butter-smooth
                            components is a fine enjoyable thing, well worth the
                            extra effort.

                            You Bill have been a prime inspiration for a very good
                            option, if it's strictly a matter of minimizing cost and
                            maximizing quality. Building one's own bike, like your recumbent
                            Heavy Metal, is something that reflects very old and honorable
                            traditions of self-reliance and can-do innovation. Historically,
                            this current trend of buying every thing a person uses instead
                            of making or growing to satisfy needs and wants is an
                            exceptionally recent phenomena.

                            Cheers,

                            John Snyder
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                              On 1 Oct 2001 at 11:57, De Clarke wrote:

                              > >> http://www.nihola.dk
                              >
                              > Looks interesting but I find the site completely
                              > dysfunctional -- menu items do nothing.

                              I had not noticed this before.

                              > presumably
                              > it is complete javascripted and inaccessible otherwise?
                              > pity.

                              I took a look at the source and you are correct. It's silly and pointless not to put a HTML link in. A
                              triumph of those who think they know what they are doing. Complaints to nihola@....

                              A similar trike in some ways is the Christiania. This should be on http://www.christianiabikes.com,
                              though it didn't work for me this morning (likely to be something here, it has worked before). This
                              will I suspect work without Javascript.

                              http://www.christiania.org has some older pictures of the same thing.
                              http://www.workbike.org/zero/Sales2.html is also navigable without Javascript and has pictures of
                              both trikes.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                                John writes:

                                >You Bill have been a prime inspiration for a very good
                                >option, if it's strictly a matter of minimizing cost and
                                >maximizing quality. Building one's own bike, like your recumbent
                                >Heavy Metal, is something that reflects very old and honorable
                                >traditions of self-reliance and can-do innovation. Historically,
                                >this current trend of buying every thing a person uses instead
                                >of making or growing to satisfy needs and wants is an
                                >exceptionally recent phenomena.

                                Ah, for the days of 35 hour weeks, 33 mile bike commutes, and regular FAT
                                paychecks ....

                                I didn't build HM to save $$$, but you are right ... it's very cheap if you
                                don't go crazy on equipment. I did love riding my own design and
                                construction.

                                The only thing I built as of late, was the luggage rack on the ZOX 26
                                (harder than building a bike frame, really).

                                Now with my own company to run I don't have the time to build anything ....
                                but I really want to build the best recumbent folder in the world.

                                Bill
                              • Bill Volk
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                                  I also forgot this ...

                                  A $500 to $1000 used car is bound to have major repair needs over a 7 year
                                  period. Heck even a $10,000 Shiny Lease Turn In might need $1000's of
                                  repairs over 7 years.

                                  Unless the car market is much cheaper where you live...

                                  I also believe, and I'm sure to get flamed for this, that if you had ANY
                                  real volume in the velomobile business .... something akin to a Lietra would
                                  sell for $999.95.

                                  Bill

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                                    Bill wrote:

                                    > A $500 to $1000 used car is bound to have major repair needs over a 7 year
                                    > period. Heck even a $10,000 Shiny Lease Turn In might need $1000's of
                                    > repairs over 7 years.

                                    That is true.

                                    As you figured the market does produce inexpensive used
                                    cars in Central Montana relative to other places in the US
                                    with higher average wages. Some folks can and do treat used
                                    cars like they do paper plates. If the $500 automobile conks
                                    out, instead of spending $1,000 in repairs or parts they
                                    scrape enough together for another $500 car. In context,
                                    this practice translates into reduced incentives to explore
                                    overall lower-cost alternatives which require a higher intial
                                    investment.

                                    > I also believe, and I'm sure to get flamed for this, that if you had ANY
                                    > real volume in the velomobile business .... something akin to a Lietra would
                                    > sell for $999.95.

                                    No heat from this corner. The infamous IMHO asserts, there's room,
                                    and a strong need, for a wide range of prices on multi-track
                                    HPVs just as now exists with upright bicycles.

                                    Volume will be one of the keys towards more affordable velomobiles
                                    becoming a reality some day. Preceptions are another.

                                    As an example, the Worksman standard single-speed Industrial trike
                                    which is welded together in NYC, _retails_ for $250. Their "recumbent"
                                    version, highly similar in manufacture, retails for $729.
                                    http://www/highwheel.com or http://www.worksman.com Worksman is a
                                    large firm. They can buy raw materials in volume, which is reflected
                                    in the end pricing. However, we customers go looking for ideas,
                                    emotions, and attitudes, as much as we do tangible items -- maybe
                                    more so.

                                    Cheers,

                                    John Snyder
                                  • Michel Gagnon
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                                      > On 30 Sep 2001 at 20:07, michelle@... wrote:
                                      >

                                      >>I will occasionally need to travel approx. 7 miles (each
                                      >>way), and winter is just around the corner...
                                      >>
                                      >>Any suggestions on a good carfree way to travel that distance in snow?
                                      >>(Also with having to carry a backpack or musical instrument on my
                                      >>back)?
                                      >

                                      > David Hansen answered:
                                      >
                                      > Occasionally is a problem. If you wanted to do it regularly then the obvious solution is a
                                      > transporter bike, such as http://www.nihola.dk Trikes are much better in snow than bikes.

                                      While I'm not in favour of carrying things on my back, I consider the
                                      musical instrument to be an exception. Acoustic instruments like violins or
                                      guitars need some shock protection that one either gets from perfectly
                                      smooth roads or from a rack or trailer with suspension and lots of padding.
                                      It might be worthwile to go that way for a cello or double-base, but not for
                                      an alto or standard violin.

                                      --

                                    • FolderPete@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 3, 2001
                                        In a message dated 10/3/2001 1:09:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time, CarFree@yahoogroups.com writes:

                                        A $500 to $1000 used car is bound to have major repair needs over a 7 year
                                        period.  Heck even a $10,000 Shiny Lease Turn In might need $1000's of
                                        repairs over 7 years.

                                        Yes, perhaps, but a slightly better car (~$2000) might last hassle-free quite a while.

                                        That was my strategy for buying used.  Pay well for an older vehicle from a one owner source that has be regularly maintained.  I had a 10yr old Celica, and a 15yr old Chevy C-10 PU.   The only other caveat would be to not put too many miles on them.  I'd put typically half the average annual mileage (~4000-8000).  [Used] tires were my main replacement parts.  Also a 1 yr old Nissan PU, which, during 8 yrs, needed -- again, tires.

                                        I'm sure this calculus would have changed if I had had a pressing NEED for each vehicle.  As I always had (inconvenient) alternatives, the Car God eased up on me a bit, I believe.  YMMV.

                                        Its amazing how absolutely cheap it can be to run a death-monster in this country.  Many in CA never even registre (let alone insure) so costs are literally 'gas-n-oil'.  Of course most people pay significantly more; through need, or lack of inconvenience, or safety, or vanity.

                                        But then I imagine its possible to pull an old Schwinn out of the creek, repatch, repatch, and scavenge bike parts for the "non-buttery-smooth ride".  Is this the equivalent of the no-cost  jalopy?
                                        FP
                                      • John Snyder
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 3, 2001
                                          Folder Pete wrote:

                                          > But then I imagine its possible to pull an old Schwinn out of the creek,
                                          > repatch, repatch, and scavenge bike parts for the "non-buttery-smooth ride".
                                          > Is this the equivalent of the no-cost jalopy?

                                          That's a great option. I'd suggest though that "the
                                          butter gets churned to perfection" more by what mechanic
                                          does than the cost or source of the parts. Scavenged
                                          components can be tweaked with a dash of love and
                                          thought to enhance their performance.

                                          My wife has the unexplainable talent of being able to walk
                                          into a second hand shop or garage sale then spot a five-dollar
                                          bicycle in near show room condition. It's obviously some sort
                                          of magical ability because I've never had the same sort of
                                          luck when out hunting for parts. :)

                                          There is another route open for some.

                                          My home town and a few other communities around the world have
                                          begun Free Bikes programs, sponsored by one of the service
                                          clubs in conjunction with the citys' police department.

                                          Unclaimed stolen bicycles, or even donated ones, are refurbished
                                          if needed to working condition by volunteers. Temporary ownership
                                          of a bike is then transfered to anyone who asks for it. The
                                          only stipulation being that the vehicle be eventually
                                          returned. Custody can be a matter of hours or decades, depending
                                          on each individual's situation. If the cycle breaks down, it can
                                          one or get fixed. This tact seems to be running more smoothly than
                                          the previous Yellow Bikes program* which was plagued to extinction
                                          with vandalism. Evolution!

                                          The idea sure puts a nice new twist on the slogan, "to serve
                                          and to protect."

                                          Cheers,

                                          John Snyder

                                          (* The Yellow bikes concept was born several years ago in
                                          Holland. Community-shared bicycles set out at random, allowed
                                          anyone lucky enough to find a yellow-painted bicycle in
                                          operating condition to pedal from one point to another.)
                                        • Fahrion, Jason L
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 3, 2001
                                            My home town and a few other communities around the world have
                                            begun Free Bikes programs, sponsored by one of the service
                                            clubs in conjunction with the citys' police department.

                                            Unclaimed stolen bicycles, or even donated ones, are refurbished
                                            if needed to working condition by volunteers. Temporary ownership
                                            of a bike is then transfered to anyone who asks for it. The
                                            only stipulation being that the vehicle be eventually
                                            returned. Custody can be a matter of hours or decades, depending
                                            on each individual's situation. If the cycle breaks down, it can
                                            one or get fixed. This tact seems to be running more smoothly than
                                            the previous Yellow Bikes program* which was plagued to extinction
                                            with vandalism. Evolution!

                                            The idea sure puts a nice new twist on the slogan, "to serve
                                            and to protect."

                                            very cool, I wonder if they have something like that here. do you have a
                                            list of participating cities? Is it one organized effort or simply
                                            different citties trying the same general thing?

                                            Jason Fahrion
                                          • John Snyder
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 3, 2001
                                              Jason wrote:

                                              > very cool, I wonder if they have something like that here. do you > have a
                                              > list of participating cities? Is it one organized effort or simply
                                              > different citties trying the same general thing?

                                              As far as I know the free bikes programs are always
                                              implimented on the local level. In our town I believe
                                              the Kiawanis club got the idea rolling to start with. It's
                                              likely something that has to be tailor fit to each
                                              community's attitudes and unique quirks.

                                              Here's a web page for a similar project in Missoula, Montana.
                                              http://members.spree.com/missoula/freebikes.htm

                                              Ah, neat! Here's a better page, discussing bike sharing
                                              in different parts of the world. It includes a bunch of links
                                              at the bottom. http://www.ibike.org/freebike.htm

                                              John Snyder