Re: Re: first CarFree weekend

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 17, 2000
      On 17 Jan 00, at 9:41, Larisa Migachyov wrote:

      > It's even possible to entertain out-of-town visitors without a car.
      > Last time an out-of-town friend came to visit, I bicycled in to the
      > train station with a pair of rollerblades in my bike basket. To get
      > from the train station to my home, I gave her the bicycle and put on the
      > rollerblades.

      The classic way of doing this is with a folding bike and trailer.
      People have done this for trips of up to 10-15 miles from the station.

      1) Fold the bike and put it in the trailer. Tow this to the station
      with another bike (folding or not).

      2) Unfold the bike and present it to your friend. Put her luggage on
      the trailer and head back.

      If she doesn't like the folder transfer the trailer to it and use it
      yourself, while she uses the conventional bike.

      Visitors need to be warned in advance of this, but most will be charmed
      by the idea. If they are not they can take a taxi or do whatever else
      they like.

      David Hansen | davidh@... | PGP email preferred
      Edinburgh | CI$ number 100024,3247 | key number F566DA0E
    • Larisa Migachyov
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 17, 2000
        At 07:39 PM 1/17/00 +0000, you wrote:
        >From: "David Hansen" <davidh@...>

        >The classic way of doing this is with a folding bike and trailer.
        >People have done this for trips of up to 10-15 miles from the station.
        >
        >1) Fold the bike and put it in the trailer. Tow this to the station
        >with another bike (folding or not).
        >
        >2) Unfold the bike and present it to your friend. Put her luggage on
        >the trailer and head back.
        >
        >If she doesn't like the folder transfer the trailer to it and use it
        >yourself, while she uses the conventional bike.
        >
        >Visitors need to be warned in advance of this, but most will be charmed
        >by the idea. If they are not they can take a taxi or do whatever else
        >they like.

        I like the idea! How small is your typical folding bike when folded? Does it
        really fit in a bike trailer?

        I might need to get a bike trailer one of these days. I still remember with
        horror the 6-mile ride I had with a rather large newly-purchased printer on my
        bike's rear rack - I was sure I'd drop the thing at some point.

        LM
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 18, 2000
          On 17 Jan 00, at 12:02, Larisa Migachyov wrote:

          > I like the idea! How small is your typical folding bike when folded?

          A medium size suitcase.

          > Does it really fit in a bike trailer?

          All of them will.

          David Hansen | davidh@... | PGP email preferred
          Edinburgh | CI$ number 100024,3247 | key number F566DA0E
        • John Neale
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 18, 2000
            >> I like the idea! How small is your typical folding bike when folded?
            >
            >A medium size suitcase.

            A decent folding bike - I use a Brompton - folds up very small. They are
            cunningly designed. I recently took mine on a plane as hand luggage, and
            stored it on the floor under 2 seats. :-)

            Since buying a trailor - a Winther Donkey - I have found it to be an
            indespensable part of living by bike. I now wonder why I used to mess
            around carrying things on the handle bars. Also, shopping has become very
            easy: I pack the stuff straight into the trailor, cycle home, and wheel the
            trailor straight into the kitchen to unload.

            By the way, regarding dates... if your date looks down on you because you
            ride a bike, will they really make a good life partner for you??? It's a
            good sort of "jerk test" ;o)

            John

            --
            mailto:jneale@...
            http://www.webshowcase.net/johnneale
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 18, 2000
              On 18 Jan 00, at 15:29, John Neale wrote:

              > A decent folding bike - I use a Brompton - folds up very small.

              The best folding bikes, like the Brompton, fold up just a bit bigger
              than their wheels (folding wheels are not yet reliable:-), which end up
              almost side by side.

              However, even a not very compact folder, like the Fold It, will fit
              onto many trailers. The Brompton will fit onto a Bike Hod, which few
              folding bikes will fit.

              Trailer and folding bike need to match for this trick to work. A to B
              magazine is the place to study folders. I don't have the URL to hand
              but http://www.bromptonbike.com should have a link.