Re: [CarFree] Re: Lifestyle malaise

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2001
      =v= That was a very good, very thoughtful message.

      > As a result of this understanding I try very hard to help
      > people break through the wall of fear that keeps them from
      > what they desire.

      =v= This works pretty well face-to-face, but one runs into
      trouble getting the word out in a society such as ours, where
      people are compartmentalized, and are thus cut off from any
      dialogue.

      =v= Compartmentalized by cars, which divide people up into
      units with glass walls between them and no hope of speaking
      to each other. Compartmentalized by TV, which is another
      sort of glass wall. (Even now I'm sending email through a
      glass wall, which is a better deal than one-way TV or no-way
      cars, but still very mediated.)

      =v= TV's role here seems to be building up the wall of fear
      in some places and suggesting desires in place of one's own.
      Mostly desire for cars. How do we compete with that?