Re: more about Amish, land use, buggies, etc

  • Ken Kifer
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 4 8:54 AM
      Anne Keckler wrote:
      Motorists are killing Amish, and then trying to pass more and
      more laws regulating the buggies. And this makes perfect sense
      to them. Go figure.

      Motorists claim that the buggy accidents (where a motorist hits
      a buggy) cause injury to the motorists, and their answer to this
      problem is to eliminate or to greatly regulate the buggies.
      They don't understand when I explain to them that the buggies
      were their first. In fact, I suggested as a solution that they
      institute a 10mph speed limit everywhere except on interstates,
      and I was really laughed at and insulted.

      Ken Kifer replies:
      I make extensive bicycle trips and have encountered Amish communities in
      Pennsylvania, Michigan/Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, and Tennessee. In many
      of these areas, driving a buggy is very dangerous due to the high speed
      of motor vehicles. But signs warning drivers to watch for buggies,
      suitable shoulders for the buggies to ride on (the Amish always ride as
      far to the right as possible), and even places to park a buggy or to
      hitch a horse are entirely absent. If cyclists feel badly treated by
      motorists, they ought to visit an Amish area and see what prejudical
      treatment is about! For instance, along the Michigan-Indiana border is
      a road which is used by motorists traveling from the Chicago area to the
      Detroit area because they don't want to pay the toll fees of the
      parallel limited-access highway. So, they speed down this road, which
      has poor sight distances, and kill many Amish, who live along that
      road. What has the state of Indiana done about this state of affairs --
      nothing!

      The argument that is usually made is that nothing has to be done for
      cyclists because we don't contribute anything to the community. It's a
      lie, of course, but it's hard to prove how much cyclists contribute
      because we are so scattered around. However, the Amish are very
      visible, with productive fields, their own private businesses, and lots
      of goods to contribute for everyone to appreciate. I talked to one
      individual who I think was repeating to me much common opinion who said
      that it was wrong for the state to widen highways just for buggies and
      bicycles (some of the cyclists are Amish, others are not) because we
      don't pay gasoline taxes. He failed to see that widening the lane would
      make the road safer for him (he drove a gasoline truck). In many
      states, where there are no cyclists or buggies, that is what is being
      done.

      Anne Keckler wrote:
      Now, I can go 8mph with my miniature horses. I think a good
      Standardbred can really speed along -- maybe going 10mph on
      average! :-)

      Ken Kifer replies:
      In Indiana, the buggies were traveling at a good clip, always, with
      speeds of 12 to 18 mph, I would estimate, based on my own speed. They
      were usually too fast for me to pass, and some of them passed me.
      --
      Ken Kifer's Bike Pages: 100 pages of info! -- health, advocacy, safety,
      touring, lifestyle, humor, and links: http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/

      Bicycling Life: The good news about bicycling, with commuting,
      recreation, how to, and safety info: http://www.bicyclinglife.com
    • v_stewart@earthlink.net
      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 6 9:17 PM
        --- In CarFree@y..., John Snyder <JCSnyder.studio@w...> wrote:
        > Dan wrote:
        >
        > > I would like to see row housing built into a quad
        > > with enclosed courtyards.
        >
        > Go way to the West, young man! You've pretty much
        > described the living conditions in the small
        > laid-back towns of rural Korea, without the car
        > garage part.

        Or Amsterdam. Can I assume everyone has seen http://www.carfree.com ?

        Will