various

  • Simon Norton
    Message 1 of 54 , Jul 4, 2001
      Some comments on various issues raised recently.

      Yes, the 4 children of an Amish may consume less than the 2 of someone in the
      mainstream lifestyle, but by the time one gets several generations down the
      situation changes. There probably aren't enough Amish to matter, but if this
      lifestyle was universal I think they would have to move towards family planning.

      Interesting that some people are boycotting Esso to get its prices down while
      others are doing so because of its negative stance on climate change. Could the
      former perhaps be having it in mind to sabotage the latter campaign ? When we
      had our fuel protests in the UK last year the campaign was unofficially
      supported by the oil companies with the aim of getting the Government to lower
      taxes to compensate for their higher prices -- there one isn't trying to buck
      the market (as there is no market in the environment) and can succeed.

      Why is a driving licence required for the cycling job posted by Diane
      Fitzsimmons ?

      I remember, when doing Julius Caesar at school, reading how he said that the
      Swiss thought their country was overpopulated. Some things don't change...

      The subject of farming in suburbs cannot but remind me of a classic UK sitcom
      called the Good Life about the adventures of a couple who decide to try to
      become self sufficient in Surbiton, a place probably chosen because its name
      sounds like "suburb", though it is probably no more unsustainable than other
      similar London suburbs. This series dates from when environmentalism was first
      starting to come out. Their life satisfaction seems to outweigh that of their
      status seeking neighbours and friends. Wonder how this measures up with real
      life ?

      Simon Norton
    • richardmasoner
      Message 54 of 54 , Mar 10, 2006
        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Simon Norton <S.Norton@...> wrote:

        > I don't believe that a bus can be more expensive than a
        > taxi for any journey

        In the Denver area, taxis charge $2/mile (in 1/8 mile increments plus
        other fees and another time rate kicks in when you're stuck in
        traffic). Since this is a Western city, distances are large.
        Commercial airport shuttle services charge $20 and up depending on how
        far you want to go, so even these will be cheaper than a cab.

        Local public transit fare in and around Denver starts at $1.50. The
        most I'll ever pay is $3.75 and that will get me 80 miles from my home
        in Longmont (north of Denver) to the north edge of Douglas County
        (south of Denver).

        Depending on how far I need to go, no more than $6 is needed to get me
        from Denver to any Front Range city south of Denver down to Colorado
        Springs and my in-laws home in Fountain, Colorado.

        So yeah, the bus is a lot less expensive than a taxi cab.

        RFM