Re: Digest Number 59

  • dank
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2000
      Hello,

      Fixing your own bike is not a tough skill to learn, and it gets
      easier. The specialized tools you need to own are few and the freedom
      you gain is beyond compare.

      For fixing a bike at home, a minimum requirement is a folding allen
      wrench set. Next a set of metric wrenches for the odd fasteners on your
      bike. You can look over your bike and make a tool box based on what
      fasteners are used. A chain tool is important but a crank extractor and
      BB wrenches are not nessicary, since we no longer need to adjust our
      bottom brackets. Then just pack your tools with you whenever you ride
      and let the mechanical gremlins be forewarned that you are prepared.

      And of course, tire patching supplies. I just rememberd that thre is a
      pocket cycle repair book available that you can pack it with your tools
      and you will have guidance when you need it.

      Dan
    • Ross or Judy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2000
        I agree that having a tool kit with you adds freedom to cycling. Don't worry
        though if you have a breakdown that you can't repair; just hitch a ride. Its
        real easy, lots of people that normally don't pick up hitchhikers will stop
        i.e.. women, elderly, motorhomes etc..
        My toolkits have the folding bicycle allen/screwdriver set,
        patch kit, little pump and 4" adjustable wrench.
        My touring kit has the above plus chainbreaker, spokes, spoke wrench,
        freewheel tool and a few sockets with allen key adapter . I don't take BB
        tools as I have a cartridge BB.
        If that fails, I'll hitchhike.
        Ross