Re: [CarFree] Re: "longer commute

  • renegadebuddhacoach
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      Is any one doing a commute of over 25 miles CarFree?
      I may be doing this for a while next August I am hoping some bus service may
      be viable but doubt it. I am considering making an electric Bob trailer saw
      one on the net looks like it might work out. Any one have any experience
      with this or any other power assist or electric bikes for longer commutes?

      NetZero Platinum
      No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
      Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
      http://www.netzero.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
        > Is any one doing a commute of over 25 miles CarFree?

        =v= I used to. I had a 40 mile intermodal commute, using a rail
        system + bicycle, though it was sort of onerous because bikes
        were banned during commute hours. One time I showed up one
        minute late and they wouldn't let me on the train, so I biked
        the whole way. After that, I'd bike the whole way once or twice
        each week.

        > I am considering making an electric Bob trailer saw one on the
        > net looks like it might work out.

        =v= The setup I read about uses batteries and solar panels to
        power the trailer's wheel, which gives the assist. However, it
        sounded like the weight of the batteries cancelled it all out.
        The tradeoff seemed to be getting a little help going up hills
        in return for hauling the works around on the flats.
        <_Jym_>
      • davidh@spidacom.co.uk
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2001
          On 1 Jun 01, at 5:12, renegadebuddhacoach wrote:

          > Is any one doing a commute of over 25 miles CarFree?
          > I may be doing this for a while next August I am hoping some bus
          > service may be viable but doubt it.

          One or both ways? A number of people do around 15 miles each
          way here. Some use a cycle all the time, others use cycle, bus and
          train as appropriate.

          An ordinary cycle is no problem for such a distance regularly.

          --
          David Hansen | davidh@... | PGP email preferred
          Edinburgh | CI$ number 100024,3247 | key number F566DA0E
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2001
            from 1995 to 1998 I took a masters degree in composition at Suny
            Binghamton (I still taught in Ithaca several days a week) and usually
            went by bike; until the last year (98). It's 50 miles each way.
            However, it was for the most part a weekly commute, since I rented an
            apartment in Binghamtonfor the first couple years, and the last year I
            didn't have to be there every day. Also, I sometimes used the bus
            backup, though that was $7.50 a pop so I couldn't always do it. If you
            have the time, it's no prob., since you get accustomed to it. It did
            take about 3 hours though!
            nocarsdave