car redux.

  • dank
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 1999
      Hey Guys n' Gals,

      I have some good news to report. I examined my transportation needs
      and defined the hardest job on the list. It happens to be taking Argon
      cylinders to the welders supply empty and bringing them back filled. The
      trip is about 5 miles each way and has a hill in the middle.

      In preparation I changed my cylinder lease from one really big tank to
      two smaller ones (cost $45 extra annually) So I could ride when the sun
      shines and not rush rush when the single tank runs out.

      I drank a bunch of coffee, and set off with a cylinder sticking out of
      the tub on my newest cargo trike. It was a breeze. I even felt kinda
      protected from being run into since the cylinder looked a bit ominious
      sticking out the back, you know: this bike is a car bomb!

      Most of my intown suppliers are on the same route so I am thinking
      this is going to work out just fine. I do need the exersize since i
      typically only ride to the coffee shop and hardware store. I located my
      home and business in the same place so I do not commute. However my only
      motor vehicle is a full size van which I maintain for my business. It is
      a gas guzzling pig and coincidentally uses the same chassis that the new
      Super SUVs will be based on. This is very bad! Sub 10mpg in the city.

      Dan Kavanagh

      Dan
    • Randy & Cheyanne
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 24, 1999
        Hey Dan and Group,

        I haul 20 gallon propane cylinders on a bob trailer this way. I used to
        ride a few miles through town to have the cylinders filled until I
        discovered that a nearby marine outfitter has propane. I always feel like
        I am piloting a bomb with the tank on the trailer but I felt that way when I
        hauled them with a pick-up truck, too. I think the cars give me more room
        when they pass me and the "bomb". Might be fun to take the outfit out next
        week to scare the townsfolk in the midst of Y2K paranoia. I have an
        oxyacetylene outfit with those tiny cylinders that I haven't used since
        moving here but hope I can find an easy way to get them filled when I need them.

        Merry Christmas,
        Happy New Year,

        Randy Gore