Re: more Vehicular cycling (thru other topics)

  • FolderPete@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2001
      In a message dated 4/6/01 1:53:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time, EB writes:

      > Cannondale lists the Adventure model in their catalog and website which
      > comes with a light and a Nexus generator

      Yes, great looking touring (700cc) bike. any idea of the price-range?

      > . Most occasional night-riders are better served by
      > inexpensive battery based equipment. A good generator setup is expensive
      > (couple of hundred dollars?), and generates I think on the order of 4
      watts.
      > So the frequent user would need to weigh that against a modern NiMh
      > rechargable setup that pricewise could be both cheaper and far brighter.

      Hard to beat a $25 Ft & Rr combo battery purchase; but one can assemble a
      generator with front and rear lites for around $50. Nexus hubs can be had
      for about $50, but would need a wheel-build. However this is a v nice unit.
      They give a 2.6W ft and 0.6W rr, so its really only about being seen (though
      anything helps in the deepdark.

      NiMH battery setups are great with 6, 10 or more watts of power. Lightweigh
      too (though I don't notice the weight or drag much on the hub -- or even my
      AXA bottle gen that much). Trouble is they crap out at exactly the wrong
      times. For an occasional rider this is probably more of a likelihood than
      someone who commutes, and carries backup or 'knows' when to expect it. A
      bottle generator unit is off most of the time, so no drag (some are V
      lightweight, 1/4 lb) and always there when you need it. And you don't forget
      it either.

      Glad to see Cannondale market a nice useful bike.
      FP who now 'sees the light'

      PS: sorry for being so annoying.