Re: Finally, officially car free

  • John Neale
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 1999
      >As of 0740 this morning, I am finally, officially car free. The tow
      >truck took my car away this morning. (I donated it to charity, rather
      >than deal with the hassle of selling it.)

      Jim - well done.

      What usually happens is that if the car is sitting there in front of your
      house, you will use it by default, when in fact walking, cycling or taking
      public transport is quicker and easier (or even realising that the journey
      was totally unnecessary in the first place! :o). So getting rid of the car
      is very important.

      I don't live my life entirely car-free. I use foot/bike/bus/train/plane for
      most of my travel. But occasionally a situation will present itself
      (perhaps once every 2 months) where a car is the only sensible option.
      Fine. In this case I hire a car from the car-hire depot up the road. I
      don't regard myself as traitor by doing so, but I regard it as making
      intelligent choices.

      Best wishes

      John
      Freiburg, Germany