use of public transport by decision makers

  • Simon Norton
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2001
      My question was a bit more subtle than the one answered by David Hansen.

      In the UK one would expect to see rail managers using the train for journeys
      such as York to London -- it's a lot quicker than driving (at least it was prior
      to the Hatfield crash and probably is now again) and there's no air link. But
      what about cross-country journeys like Ipswich to Derby ?

      People from outside the UK can no doubt find local equivalents for the four
      cities mentioned above (actually Ipswich isn't strictly speaking a city), and
      the same principles apply to other modes of travel - buses, cycling and walking.

      Simon Norton
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2001
        On 8 Feb 01, at 11:54, Simon Norton wrote:

        > But what about cross-country journeys like Ipswich to Derby ?

        In the days of old rail managers would have used the train. Indeed
        someone I was at college with was once told to catch a train at 2am
        in order to make it to a meeting the next morning, the complusion
        was that strong. I should add that he pointed out that he could drive
        there starting at 6am and after a large wrangle that is what he did.

        However, we now live in the insane Treasury dictated world of rail
        privatisation. Instead of having a pass for all lines (perhaps in an
        area) managers only have a pass for their mickey mouse company.
        This can mean that they can only get some trains between two
        points, just another madness John Major has left us with. It's not just
        railway vehicles that travel by road because it is "cheaper".

        Despite this the manager I was talking about was in charge of some
        fairly rural routes and went walkabout on them all. Weymouth to
        Bristol isn't exactly a main line.

        David Hansen | davidh@... | PGP email preferred
        Edinburgh | CI$ number 100024,3247 | key number F566DA0E
      • De Clarke
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2001
          >> Despite this the manager I was talking about was in charge
          >> of some fairly rural routes and went walkabout on them all.
          >> Weymouth to Bristol isn't exactly a main line.

          Maybe I'm naive, but I can think of few more delightful
          ways to make a living than to manage several rural rail
          lines and "go walkabout on them all" as part of one's
          job. Sigh. Ever have those moments when you really
          wonder if you picked the right career?

          de

          :Mail: de@... | :
          :Web: www.ucolick.org | Don't Fear the Penguins :
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2001
            On 8 Feb 01, at 13:45, De Clarke wrote:

            > but I can think of few more delightful
            > ways to make a living than to manage several rural rail
            > lines and "go walkabout on them all" as part of one's
            > job.

            Walkabouts have to be structured to be of much use, they must take
            in safety, staff and public conditions and so on. It's not just a matter
            of sitting on the train watching the scenery.

            Personally I don't envey them, the job was difficult enough before
            John Major botched up the railways.