Re: [CarFree] public transit woes

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2001
      On 7 Feb 01, at 12:49, De Clarke wrote:

      > The people who run public transit are very often not
      > themselves public transit users

      In the UK that depends.

      Bus managers tend not to use buses very often. Aeroplane
      managers tend to use aeroplanes often.

      On the railways a lot of the people involved use trains. I have been
      on a train more than once in which the manager announced that he
      (it always has been a he) was about to walk through the train if
      anyone would like to comment on the service. In the better railway
      companies it is a rule that if the staff are in difficulties (short of staff,
      lots to do) the manager is to make themselves available to the staff
      and do what they direct. Thus I have spoken with people who have
      been served coffee by Christopher Garnett, the Managing Director
      of GNER and I have had my ticket checked by a similar personage.
      All managers have been on courses to do these and other tasks
      properly when necessary (serving coffee on a moving train is an
      art).

      David Hansen | davidh@... | PGP email preferred
      Edinburgh | CI$ number 100024,3247 | key number F566DA0E