New Apple HQ to "Render Cars Invisible"

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2014
      http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-spaceship-eliminates-cars-2014-3

      | [T]he circular design of the building will keep employees
      | from ever having to see a car, creating a kind of idyllic
      | California landscape.

      =v= That's great, though it's out in the 'burbs and one has
      to negotiate a car-clogged California hellscape to get there.
      <_Jym_>
    • simonphillipsnorton
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2014
        Well at least it's close to a bus route -- see
        <http://www.vta.org/routes/rt81>. I presume that there will be an entrance
        from Tantau close to the junction with Homestead. Are there any plans to
        improve the bus service when the office is opened ?

        Simon Norton
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2014
          > Are there any plans to improve the bus service when the
          > office is opened ?

          =v= I haven't heard of any.

          =v= There's a controversy underway about tech companies in the
          region with private bus fleets. These are large luxury buses
          with wifi so people can work on their way into work. :^\ The
          most visible one is the Google Bus, which would be the best
          search term if you're looking for news about this. My favorite
          article is this one by Jason Henderson:

          http://www.sfbg.com/2014/01/21/nickels-and-dimesor-transit-our-times

          =v= Part of the controversy involves skyrocketing rents and thus
          displacement by gentrification in San Francisco, another part is
          that these private fleets are using the public transit systems'
          bus stops. (They also park in bike lanes, but for some reason
          the bike coalition hasn't made an isse of that.)

          =v= Stamen Design sent bike messengers with GPS to follow the
          buses around San Francisco and mapped out their routes:

          http://content.stamen.com/zero1

          Here's a more recent story, tallying up the number to times an
          Apple Bus passes one residence:

          http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2014/03/commuter-bus/

          <_Jym_>
        • simonphillipsnorton
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 13, 2014
            Well there's no reason why public buses (i.e. those available for all to
            use, whether or not they are owned by private or public companies -- the
            former being almost universal in the UK) can't have wifi (in my area,
            Cambridge, most of the longer distance routes do), and it would surely be
            to the benefit of Apple if they sponsor better bus services, with wifi for
            owners of Apple and other computers to use as they ride.

            Mind you some Cambridge workplaces do have private commuter buses, which
            tend to be hired out from the same operators. I have no idea whether or not
            they have wifi. I believe that they could be consolidated into public
            routes which by serving multiple destinations and accepting the general
            public could offer a more frequent service for all.

            Simon Norton