Re: [CF] Why does my car-free handyman business scare away news media?

  • Kelley C Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
      Here's a thought. It's always a little murky when a "news" outlet covers
      a business. How to draw the line between reporting and advertising?

      I don't know the particulars.....but they ma have a hard time
      distinguishing between the two, and they may be deluged with press
      releases from large businesses that are, in reality, advertising.

      Kelley

      On 9/1/11 6:01 AM, Jim Gregory wrote:

      > Could it be they have too many other things related to Earth Day to
      > cover you on that particular day?
      >
      > What is your approach? How and when are you pitching them?
      >
      > I don't know of any of the carfree businesses we've dealt with have
      > had trouble getting on TV. We've been on TV several times ourselves
      > without even trying :).
      >
      > -Jim
      > --
      > Jim Gregory
      > Bikes At Work Inc. www.bikesatwork.com
      > 129 Washington Ave, Ames, IA 50010 515-233-6120
      >
      > ----- Joseph Carrillo <josephwcarrillo@...
      > <mailto:josephwcarrillo%40yahoo.com>> wrote:-----
      >
      > > Even on an earth day event I could not get the TV news to show up
      > even though I had asked them way before the event. I want to show
      > other businesses that you can run a business without a car. I have
      > also heard rumors that homeland security is protecting the oil
      > companies, and I am wondering if this could be the reason the news is
      > shy of me. I have also heard that people who filmed or promoted the
      > documentary Gasland against oil companies ended up on the terror watch
      > list such as Mark Ruffalo or Josh Fox. My handyman business uses bike
      > and public transit and also uses a 4 wheeled bicycle to carry larger
      > tools.

    • the_exegete
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2011
        First off, I think you should get a Presidential Medal of Freedom for running a business like that cars-free.

        Second, even keeping in mind what Joseph said, car commercials are probably the last relaible source of revenue for a lot of media. ExxonMobil used to be a pretty reliable source; they spent three years running a picture of cyclohexane in every newspaper in the country. BP had three years of "we serve capuccino so therefore we are green" followed by two years of apologies. But the car money keeps rolling in.

        --ag