Re: Transit Benefit Reduction

  • the_exegete
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2011
      Why am I not surprised at this? We get this as a pid benifit in my office; I usually swap the transit checks and use it for my bicycle expenses. Here in Manhattan, only 20% of us even have cars. So now we'll be sending cash to the burbs so they can keep driving in and choking our children. Congress can autohelicate, as far as I'm concerned.

      --ag

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2011
        > I usually swap the transit checks and use it for my bicycle
        > expenses. Here in Manhattan, only 20% of us even have cars.

        =v= Yeah, the bike benefit is only $20/month, and you can't
        combine it with the transit benefit (it's one or the other).
        That said, $20/month would've covered my Brooklyn/Manhattan
        commute expenses (which are of course higher in the winter).

        =v= On the opposite coast, bikes aren't allowed on most Bay Area
        bridges, so the minimum cost for a San Francisco/Oakland commute
        is a BART ride from Embarcadero to West Oakland. This tallies
        up to just under the reduced transit benefit, and most of the
        trip is by bike.