Transit Benefit Reduction

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2011
      =v= U.S. Congress is looking to reduce the commuter benefit tax
      break at the end of this year. Two years ago it was increased
      to match the tax break for parking cars, but now it's supposed
      to expire while motorists still get the full benefit. Some
      details:

      http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/jhorner/want_to_keep_your_pre-tax_tran.html

      http://transportationnation.org/2011/11/07/commuter-transit-tax-benefit-to-expire-at-end-of-year/

      =v= Here's an email-sending site to tell Congress not to
      continue the transit benefit:

      http://act.commuterbenefitsworkforus.com/5239/tell-congress-to-support-transit-benefit/

      <_Jym_>
    • the_exegete
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2011
        Why am I not surprised at this? We get this as a pid benifit in my office; I usually swap the transit checks and use it for my bicycle expenses. Here in Manhattan, only 20% of us even have cars. So now we'll be sending cash to the burbs so they can keep driving in and choking our children. Congress can autohelicate, as far as I'm concerned.

        --ag

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2011
          > I usually swap the transit checks and use it for my bicycle
          > expenses. Here in Manhattan, only 20% of us even have cars.

          =v= Yeah, the bike benefit is only $20/month, and you can't
          combine it with the transit benefit (it's one or the other).
          That said, $20/month would've covered my Brooklyn/Manhattan
          commute expenses (which are of course higher in the winter).

          =v= On the opposite coast, bikes aren't allowed on most Bay Area
          bridges, so the minimum cost for a San Francisco/Oakland commute
          is a BART ride from Embarcadero to West Oakland. This tallies
          up to just under the reduced transit benefit, and most of the
          trip is by bike.