RE: [CF] Re: AAA for bikes? / long distance travel

  • Anne Ashton Goldfeld
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2011
      Thanks for all the feedback! It's great to know that Better World Club is
      right near us in Portland.
      Next I'm investigating Greyhound/Amtrak options as alternative to rental
      car. Anyone have experiences to share? Esp traveling with children.

      Namaste,
      Anne

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2011
        At 08:45 AM 8/3/2011, Anne Ashton Goldfeld wrote:
        >Thanks for all the feedback! It's great to know that Better World Club is
        >right near us in Portland.
        >Next I'm investigating Greyhound/Amtrak options as alternative to rental
        >car. Anyone have experiences to share? Esp traveling with children.

        Children seem to like Amtrak, at least mine did, but beware places
        you can get to but can't get back from - seriously. It may only be a
        problem in the South, but the schedules seem to have been drafted by
        sadists, and there are destinations you literally can't get back
        from. I still check the schedules out, but it's always impossible to
        do what I need even when the stations both exist in the right places
        and are open when the train arrives (station has to be open to get
        baggage off the train).

        If you're planning on travelling long distances by rail, and happen
        to be going in the direction of one of the long-haul services, Amtrak
        is really very nice.

        Greyhound was, at one time, quite the adventure - I don't know it
        well now, but at the time I was using their service you could find
        yourself in the close company of just about any sort of interesting
        traveler. This is not universally a bad thing - "interesting" *is* a
        neutral descriptor - but it might be good if you planned on
        travelling such that you could take up multiples of two seats.

        Enjoy travelling!
        Whitney