Re: [CF] One BIG drawback to car-free living

  • Emmy Koponen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 29 5:44 PM
      Well, I too miss getting to the wilderness, to cultural events, and to miscellaneous events. However, renting a car hasn't even occurred to me. One rule I have is to never be in a car alone unless it is an absolute emergency. Car free is a trade off, for me and the rest of you well worth it! Emmy

      Sent from my iPod

      On Jul 24, 2011, at 10:27 AM, "theamazingbiff" <theamazingbiff@...> wrote:

      > I've enjoyed lurking here for several months, and the information I've found here was instrumental in my decision to go car-free myself. So please don't take this as trolling.
      >
      > When I sold the car one of the first thing I did was to take great pleasure in cancelling my car insurance. What a cash vampire that's been! My city has a fantastic bus system so I've had very little trouble getting around town. I hit a brick wall, however, when I wanted to go out of town to a seminar a couple hours away. Renting a car was cheap enough, but every rental company I talked to insisted on charging me a non-refundable $100 for insurance. In this case, transportation tripled the cost of the event before I even filled up the tank. Bus and train travel were not an option for this destination. It goes to say that I stayed home.
      >
      > This situation has dogged me all summer. I haven't gone camping or hiking once since selling the car, and that's a major priority in my life. Not only that, but I can't take my dog camping with me in a rented car either which diminishes the quality of the trip. Elsewhere it makes any kind of travel very difficult because once I step off the train in any other city it's very hard for me to navigate a bus system in a city I don't know, to reach a destination that may not even have service.
      >
      > So in this sense going car-free has reduced my quality of life. If I'd seen this coming I probably would have sold my car anyway, but it was a nasty surprise.
      >
      > I assume that other people have come up against this too. How do you handle it? Do you just eat the extra fee, or is there some kind of loophole I'm missing?

    • mary_ann_short
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30 7:26 AM
        I suppose different areas of the country and different car rental
        companies have different practices. I'm in a small town in Southern
        California. The one time I rented a car, I had the option of using the
        car rental company's insurance, for an additional small per-day
        charge, or depending on my own insurance, which is what I did. (I kept
        my auto insurance when I went carfree ten years ago. Maybe
        unnecessary, but I'm not a gambler.) The rental representative told me
        that no dogs were allowed in the car but that she didn't care what I
        put in the car as long as she couldn't tell when I returned it.
        I also once used the Craig's List ride-share noticeboard. A nice man
        picked up me and my little dog and delivered me to my out-of-the-way
        doorstep. Craig's List might have been the way to get you to your
        seminar. Other people would have been going, and you might have hooked
        up with them that way. Or maybe you could have contacted the
        conference organizers to see if they had suggestions or contacts.
        As for camping, do you have a bike? I load up my bike and about three
        hours later I'm at little-used Los Padres campground in the mountains.
        It's in a grove of California bay trees, with a year-round stream.