One BIG drawback to car-free living

  • theamazingbiff
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2011
      I've enjoyed lurking here for several months, and the information I've found here was instrumental in my decision to go car-free myself. So please don't take this as trolling.

      When I sold the car one of the first thing I did was to take great pleasure in cancelling my car insurance. What a cash vampire that's been! My city has a fantastic bus system so I've had very little trouble getting around town. I hit a brick wall, however, when I wanted to go out of town to a seminar a couple hours away. Renting a car was cheap enough, but every rental company I talked to insisted on charging me a non-refundable $100 for insurance. In this case, transportation tripled the cost of the event before I even filled up the tank. Bus and train travel were not an option for this destination. It goes to say that I stayed home.

      This situation has dogged me all summer. I haven't gone camping or hiking once since selling the car, and that's a major priority in my life. Not only that, but I can't take my dog camping with me in a rented car either which diminishes the quality of the trip. Elsewhere it makes any kind of travel very difficult because once I step off the train in any other city it's very hard for me to navigate a bus system in a city I don't know, to reach a destination that may not even have service.

      So in this sense going car-free has reduced my quality of life. If I'd seen this coming I probably would have sold my car anyway, but it was a nasty surprise.

      I assume that other people have come up against this too. How do you handle it? Do you just eat the extra fee, or is there some kind of loophole I'm missing?
    • justice99645
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 29, 2011
        If I can't trade someone a favor for transportation or find a way to carpool, I just eat it. "omg they want a hundred dollars for insurance!" How much were you paying a month before?

        Have you looked into bicycles? You can bring a folding bike on a bus or train and get yourself around, or you can put a trailer on the back, put a big ol' kennel on the trailer, and off you go.

      • Whitney Turner
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 29, 2011
          At 09:59 AM 7/29/2011, John wrote:
          >Is it possible to carry auto insurance and not own a car? I don't
          >know about all states, but in Texas your auto policy also covers you
          >while on a bicycle. It might be cheaper to carry such a policy over
          >getting dinged $100 a pop while renting.

          I've carried said "non-owner" insurance here in Florida before - it's
          simple liability (and PIP, where applicable) insurance; cost based on
          your demographic information and personal driving record.

          >Another thought is what if you rented with an American Express card?
          >I thought they had an option that covered car rentals.

          They are a secondary carrier in that instance, you still need primary
          insurance. I use it myself and it save a pile of money on every
          rental of more than one day duration.

          >Last question, how do the rental companies KNOW you don't have
          >insurance? Whenever I've rented I've just declined the insurance they
          >offer and drove off. I never had to prove I was insured.

          Rental companies don't have to know. If you're involved in a crash
          without insurance you'll remember why you should have had it for a
          very long time. I still remember, and that was 1986....

          Whitney
        • AnnaLisa
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 29, 2011
            That car-rental insurance is often a racket. Check with your credit card
            company to see it they cover your insurance. The one I got through my bank
            does. The only reason I have a credit card it all is so I can rent a car
            occasionally.

            AnnaLisa Wiley

          • Whitney Turner
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 29, 2011
              At 12:09 PM 7/29/2011, AnnaLisa wrote:
              >That car-rental insurance is often a racket. Check with your credit card
              >company to see it they cover your insurance.

              Also make sure that the insurance that the card company provide meets
              the requirements of the locale in which you're renting - some credit
              card policies are only "supplementary" and require a primary
              insurance. Also be aware that most of them will not cover vehicles
              that can be used commercially; moving trucks and cargo vans are not
              covered, passenger vans are. No idea about pickup trucks.

              Whitney
            • Emmy Koponen
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 29, 2011
                Well, I too miss getting to the wilderness, to cultural events, and to miscellaneous events. However, renting a car hasn't even occurred to me. One rule I have is to never be in a car alone unless it is an absolute emergency. Car free is a trade off, for me and the rest of you well worth it! Emmy

                Sent from my iPod

                On Jul 24, 2011, at 10:27 AM, "theamazingbiff" <theamazingbiff@...> wrote:

                > I've enjoyed lurking here for several months, and the information I've found here was instrumental in my decision to go car-free myself. So please don't take this as trolling.
                >
                > When I sold the car one of the first thing I did was to take great pleasure in cancelling my car insurance. What a cash vampire that's been! My city has a fantastic bus system so I've had very little trouble getting around town. I hit a brick wall, however, when I wanted to go out of town to a seminar a couple hours away. Renting a car was cheap enough, but every rental company I talked to insisted on charging me a non-refundable $100 for insurance. In this case, transportation tripled the cost of the event before I even filled up the tank. Bus and train travel were not an option for this destination. It goes to say that I stayed home.
                >
                > This situation has dogged me all summer. I haven't gone camping or hiking once since selling the car, and that's a major priority in my life. Not only that, but I can't take my dog camping with me in a rented car either which diminishes the quality of the trip. Elsewhere it makes any kind of travel very difficult because once I step off the train in any other city it's very hard for me to navigate a bus system in a city I don't know, to reach a destination that may not even have service.
                >
                > So in this sense going car-free has reduced my quality of life. If I'd seen this coming I probably would have sold my car anyway, but it was a nasty surprise.
                >
                > I assume that other people have come up against this too. How do you handle it? Do you just eat the extra fee, or is there some kind of loophole I'm missing?

              • mary_ann_short
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 30, 2011
                  I suppose different areas of the country and different car rental
                  companies have different practices. I'm in a small town in Southern
                  California. The one time I rented a car, I had the option of using the
                  car rental company's insurance, for an additional small per-day
                  charge, or depending on my own insurance, which is what I did. (I kept
                  my auto insurance when I went carfree ten years ago. Maybe
                  unnecessary, but I'm not a gambler.) The rental representative told me
                  that no dogs were allowed in the car but that she didn't care what I
                  put in the car as long as she couldn't tell when I returned it.
                  I also once used the Craig's List ride-share noticeboard. A nice man
                  picked up me and my little dog and delivered me to my out-of-the-way
                  doorstep. Craig's List might have been the way to get you to your
                  seminar. Other people would have been going, and you might have hooked
                  up with them that way. Or maybe you could have contacted the
                  conference organizers to see if they had suggestions or contacts.
                  As for camping, do you have a bike? I load up my bike and about three
                  hours later I'm at little-used Los Padres campground in the mountains.
                  It's in a grove of California bay trees, with a year-round stream.