Re: [CF] E-assist

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2011
      > I wanted to see if folks might have some recommendation
      > without the negative crap that sometimes goes along with this.

      =v= The "crap" starts with the greenwash, actually. People who
      make grandiose claims about the supposed ecological benefits,
      and then try to recruit the already-carfree to start polluting.

      =v= Just deal with what is, and maybe try recruiting motorists
      instead, and there will be no crap.
      <_Jym_>
    • Capt., The Last Bike Ride Out of the 20th
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2011
        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote:

        > > I wanted to see if folks might have some recommendation
        > > without the negative crap that sometimes goes along with this.
        >
        > =v= The "crap" starts with the greenwash, actually. People who
        > make grandiose claims about the supposed ecological benefits,
        > and then try to recruit the already-carfree to start polluting.
        >
        > =v= Just deal with what is, and maybe try recruiting motorists
        > instead, and there will be no crap.
        > <_Jym_>

        TF: This list has plenty of motorists on it (the last I checked, the rules allowed it). I, for one, actually learned something from this thread (or from the part of it before the negative crap started) that might be useful in helping to enable me to leave my cars/trucks at home in more situations than I do.

        "Pure"-carfree is easy when you live in suburbs/cities. I more or less (but certainly NOT less than Mr. Dyer!) graduated to such "pure" carfreedom too when I lived in such dense areas as he does. But then I moved out of them, long ago, partly because I found that being devoted to transportational cycling in those types of areas/situations (which - news flash! - can't exist without the rural areas) wasn't challenging enough!

        To wit: More recently, I've added even more transportation-requiring challenges to my routine (such as but not limited to my earlier-boasted Sunday paper route), which, so far, has caused me to motor even more, BUT I don't apologize for it, because the REASON that I keep on adding/keeping these extra transportational challenges (even though I no longer really need the money from a lot of them) is to see how many of them I can figure out how to weed the motoring - or next best, the fossil-fuel use - out of.

        - TF
      • Mark Jaroski
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26 10:39 PM
          You might want to look at this discussion:

          http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-370737.html