Re: [CF] How much does it cost to drive?

  • Bart Hawkins Kreps
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2011
      On Feb 18, 2011, at 12:42 PM, AnnaLisa wrote:

      > As I listen to reports of impending food shortages, I wonder just how much
      > of our grains are used to make the ethanol that is supposed to reduce our
      > dependence on foreign oil. Does anyone know a good place to find statistics
      > on this subject?
      >
      > AnnaLisa

      I don't have an answer, but this might be a useful lead. From an article on Slate this morning:
      "Princeton scholar Tim Searchinger says that biofuels now eat up 6.5 percent of the world's grain supply and 8 percent of its vegetable oil."

      Those are big numbers. If suddenly the ethanol mills shut down and the grain supply jumped up by 6.5 percent, there would be a huge impact on basic food prices.

      Slate's article is at
      http://www.slate.com/id/2285530/
      The article points out that in an American supermarket full of highly processed, gaudily packaged food derivatives, food price inflation is barely noticeable. But the situation is much different for people who buy basic, minimally processed food.
    • John T Schiffer Jr
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2011
        There are no food shortages resulting from grains for ethonol, just a new
        "fadish" sort of solar power for bio-mass ethonol. Indeed, this new method is
        dubious from most common points of view, yet, reightously so. That is- a new
        thing such as solar biomass need be literally "sold" to the public and only by
        the same face to face method where micro ovens were sold. Good old fashion
        salesmanship. Face to face also has worked and shoud continue working for
        selling solar improvements and yes, BICYCLES and CARSLESSNESS.(I was forced to
        take extra drugs by my actions against the fast cars by certain doctors. I have
        forgiven them. Yet I cannot work nor ride a bicycle for all the drugs in me
        partly from that misunderstanding. I drive a slow (44mph or less) stickered
        vehicle and kindly speak a greeting; "slow stickered car, part time (for more
        appreciative acts)" to all I meet. I speak also in liue of the latter, have said
        others should say so, as well as THE BOX, Future Consciousness 'sin" Detection
        unit, and Praise The (capital "T") Highest Power for many years.