Re: [CF] Re: Thoughts on Tucson

  • Steven Schoeffler
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2011
      You are making a kind of equivalency between murder and unintentional traffic deaths. I don't find it persuasive. Why not also include heart attack and cancer, which kill far more people?

      Cheers,

      Steve

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2011
        >> You are making a kind of equivalency between murder and
        >> unintentional traffic deaths. I don't find it persuasive.
        >> Why not also include heart attack and cancer, which kill
        >> far more people?
        > I mean someone who intentionally runs their car into a crowd
        > of people.

        =v= That said, many people make deliberate choices when driving
        that are known to be fatally dangerous. Driving will drunk or
        distracted gets the most attention, but those only account for
        half the deaths. Choosing to speed is the deadliest of all,
        and the most widespread.

        =v= Heart disease is correlated with inactive living, which is
        itself correlated with inactive transportation. There's even
        a correlation between cars and cancer, especially for children.

        =v= As a society we tend to overlook deliberate choices when
        cars are involved, even using the word "accident" for times
        when someone deliberately runs their car into people.
        <_Jym_>
      • Christopher Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 19, 2011
          On 2011-01-19, at 12:23 PM, Jym Dyer wrote:

          > =v= As a society we tend to overlook deliberate choices when
          > cars are involved, even using the word "accident" for times
          > when someone deliberately runs their car into people.

          I have always found it striking that this euphemism is used almost exclusively for automobiles. You never hear of plane accidents, boat accidents, train accidents or bike accidents. In these cases a spade is called a spade. Not so for cars. It is also very interesting that those who just LOVE to excoriate others for what they call "political correctness" have never thought to examine this particular anomaly of language, that as far as I can see, is motivated only by a specific ideology.

          Christopher Miller
          Montreal QC Canada
        • AnnaLisa
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 20, 2011
            Living in a senior/disabled complex, I routinely dodge cars driven by people
            who can no longer drive safely and are often over-medicated. When they
            damage other people or property, it is termed an "accident." How does
            someone with a mental or physical impairment get behind the wheel of a car
            "accidentally?"

            AnnaLisa Wiley