Re: Thoughts on Tucson

  • carfreelady
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2011
      Thank-you, John for a very cogent thought that I will share with my anti-2nd amendment friends!

      --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, John Mayson <john@...> wrote:

      > Imagine if instead of using a pistol, the attacker in Tucson had
      > driven his car into a crowd, killing a number of people including a
      > federal judge and a nine year-old girl.
      >
      > Would there be calls for banning cars?
      > Would people be questioning how he was able to get a driver's license?
      > Would it even still be in the news today?
      >
      > I really wish this country got as angry over traffic deaths as we do
      > other forms of violence. Several years ago when the "DC Sniper" was
      > terrorizing the community, during that same time span four times as
      > many people died in car crashes in the Washington area. We never
      > heard about those.
      >
      > John
      >
      > --
      > John Mayson <john@...>
      > Austin, Texas, USA

    • Steven Schoeffler
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2011
        You are making a kind of equivalency between murder and unintentional traffic deaths. I don't find it persuasive. Why not also include heart attack and cancer, which kill far more people?

        Cheers,

        Steve

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 19, 2011
          >> You are making a kind of equivalency between murder and
          >> unintentional traffic deaths. I don't find it persuasive.
          >> Why not also include heart attack and cancer, which kill
          >> far more people?
          > I mean someone who intentionally runs their car into a crowd
          > of people.

          =v= That said, many people make deliberate choices when driving
          that are known to be fatally dangerous. Driving will drunk or
          distracted gets the most attention, but those only account for
          half the deaths. Choosing to speed is the deadliest of all,
          and the most widespread.

          =v= Heart disease is correlated with inactive living, which is
          itself correlated with inactive transportation. There's even
          a correlation between cars and cancer, especially for children.

          =v= As a society we tend to overlook deliberate choices when
          cars are involved, even using the word "accident" for times
          when someone deliberately runs their car into people.
          <_Jym_>
        • Christopher Miller
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 19, 2011
            On 2011-01-19, at 12:23 PM, Jym Dyer wrote:

            > =v= As a society we tend to overlook deliberate choices when
            > cars are involved, even using the word "accident" for times
            > when someone deliberately runs their car into people.

            I have always found it striking that this euphemism is used almost exclusively for automobiles. You never hear of plane accidents, boat accidents, train accidents or bike accidents. In these cases a spade is called a spade. Not so for cars. It is also very interesting that those who just LOVE to excoriate others for what they call "political correctness" have never thought to examine this particular anomaly of language, that as far as I can see, is motivated only by a specific ideology.

            Christopher Miller
            Montreal QC Canada
          • AnnaLisa
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 20, 2011
              Living in a senior/disabled complex, I routinely dodge cars driven by people
              who can no longer drive safely and are often over-medicated. When they
              damage other people or property, it is termed an "accident." How does
              someone with a mental or physical impairment get behind the wheel of a car
              "accidentally?"

              AnnaLisa Wiley