Americans Favor Cars Over Kids

  • Lorenzo L. Love
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
      from http://news.excite.com/news/r/010131/10/odd-cars-dc

      Americans Favor Cars Over Kids

      Updated 10:50 AM ET January 31, 2001

      DETROIT (Reuters) - America's long love affair with the car, complete
      with gifts on Valentine's Day, would appear to be going a bit too far, a
      poll shows.

      The nationwide online survey by Ohio-based Progressive Insurance found
      that 45 percent of married Americans ranked their cars as the thing they
      considered most important to them.

      In answer to separate questions regarding their preferences, only 6
      percent rated their children as important and just 10 percent said their
      spouse or significant other was important to them, the survey said.

      The survey, conducted Jan. 5-15 and based on answers from 516
      respondents, found that 84 percent of Americans love their cars while 32
      percent have actually given their four-wheeled gas-guzzler a name.

      Seventeen percent of male participants planned to buy their vehicle a
      gift on Valentine's Day, the poll said.

      It did not say what gifts might be handed out for the occasion but
      Progressive, the fourth-largest auto insurance company in the United
      States, suggested rose-scented air fresheners or a vintage can of motor
      oil.
    • De Clarke
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
        ya gotta wonder.

        516 respondents out of a population of 286M is not what you'd
        call a meaningful sample... but still...

        I wonder if some culture jammers got together to feed the
        poll? or if this depressing result really does reflect
        the reality out there?

        de

        :Mail: de@... | :
        :Web: www.ucolick.org | Don't Fear the Penguins :
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
          | In answer to separate questions regarding their preferences,
          | only 6 percent rated their children as important and just 10
          | percent said their spouse or significant other was important
          | to them, the survey said.

          =v= That 6 percent, of course, runs out to buy minivans (or, if
          they feel sexually inadequate, SUVs) to protect their beloved
          little angels, at the expense of all the other little angels
          that might cross their path, and all the Iraqi angels who've
          been bombed to keep the minivan running. Of course, they're
          also poisoning their own angels with all that extra exhaust,
          and screwing up their planet for them. But that's love for ya.

          > 516 respondents out of a population of 286M is not what you'd
          > call a meaningful sample... but still...

          =v= Actually, don't pay this no nevermind. The respondents are
          people who are searching for car insurance online, so they're
          motorists, Internet weenies, and stupid enough to participate
          in unscientific surveys while buying expensive stuff online.
          I think (I hope!) that this is an unrepresentative sample.

          =v= This "news item" is really just a press release to publicize
          the insurance company. But that's corporate capitalism for ya.
          <_Jym_>
        • De Clarke
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
            Oh my, this just in (personal conversation with local
            friend):

            We now have more than one yuppie family in our town,
            2 at last count, who have equipped Soccer Mom with
            a Hummer. Yes, there are at least 2 HUMV driving
            soccer moms on our freeways and surface streets now.

            I forget what a Hummer costs, I think abut $85K or so,
            but I know it gets about 5mpg and is about 2 ft wider
            than even a large SUV.

            What do you do when real life exceeds the standards
            of political cartoonery? Cry? Laugh? Get the hell
            outta Dodge?

            de

            :Mail: de@... | :
            :Web: www.ucolick.org | Don't Fear the Penguins :
          • Bill Volk
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
              There's no 'immediate' pain on the longer term environmental issues. With the subsidization of automobile infrastructure in the US ... driving is pretty darn cheap.

              Bill

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
                I recently had a consulting gig with a company that used 4 Hummers ... and needed them (wilderness patrols).

                They really stink on roads.  You couldn't keep up with the traffic in LA and they ride HARD.  Using them on the street for commuting is the height of silliness and a waste.  They are SMALL inside (the seating) ... smaller than a typical MiniVan.

                Bill

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
                  >> There's no 'immediate' pain on the longer term
                  >> environmental issues. With the subsidization of
                  >> automobile infrastructure in the US ... driving is
                  >> pretty darn cheap.

                  sigh

                  there's no immediate pain when you've just inhaled
                  a microgram of plutonium either. or when you've just
                  signed a balloon payment mortgage.

                  our collective inability to see further ahead than the
                  end of our collective schnozz is so very frustrating...

                  and the fact that many smart, motivated people are out
                  there working as hard as they can to *prevent* people
                  from looking any further ahead, is more than
                  frustrating, it's maddening. I wonder sometimes if
                  there were PR flaks on the Titanic, trying to keep the
                  crew away from the life jackets and boats, saying
                  firmly, "No no, you mustn't make a fuss, you'll upset
                  the passengers! Act normal!" <sour grin>

                  de

                  :Mail: de@... | :
                  :Web: www.ucolick.org | Don't Fear the Penguins :
                • Leolad
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
                    > Oh my, this just in (personal conversation with local
                    > friend):
                    >
                    > We now have more than one yuppie family in our town,
                    > 2 at last count, who have equipped Soccer Mom with
                    > a Hummer. Yes, there are at least 2 HUMV driving
                    > soccer moms on our freeways and surface streets now.
                    >
                    > I forget what a Hummer costs, I think abut $85K or so,
                    > but I know it gets about 5mpg and is about 2 ft wider
                    > than even a large SUV.
                    >
                    > What do you do when real life exceeds the standards
                    > of political cartoonery? Cry? Laugh? Get the hell
                    > outta Dodge?
                    >
                    > de

                    "Simpsons" fans may recall the episode "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?", in
                    which Homer's long-lost brother (Danny De Vito) invites Homer to design a
                    car for the average American.

                    Homer being Homer, he creates a complete monstrosity which looks like a
                    cross between a tank, a Rolls-Royce and the Batmobile. It costs $87000 and
                    leads to the closure of De Vito's car plant.

                    Just think, if he'd waited a few years, it might have caught on...!

                    JOHN
                  • Bill Volk
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
                      De wrote:

                      there's no immediate pain when you've just inhaled
                      a microgram of plutonium either. or when you've just
                      signed a balloon payment mortgage.

                      our collective inability to see further ahead than the
                      end of our collective schnozz is so very frustrating...

                      and the fact that many smart, motivated people are out
                      there working as hard as they can to *prevent* people
                      from looking any further ahead, is more than
                      frustrating, it's maddening. I wonder sometimes if
                      there were PR flaks on the Titanic, trying to keep the
                      crew away from the life jackets and boats, saying
                      firmly, "No no, you mustn't make a fuss, you'll upset
                      the passengers! Act normal!" <sour grin>
                      ----------------------
                      Actually, one theory has it that they (the Titanic Crew) could have
                      overloaded the lifeboats and gotten everyone off safely (it took over an
                      hour for the ship to sink).

                      It was perfectly calm (rare) and the boats could have taken the load. It
                      was the culture that killed them. Class and proper-behavior and all of
                      that.

                      Point is, the culture can kill you.

                      Bill
                    • Mark Watson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
                        Also, from the carfree_cities list:

                        It's an on-line survey, i.e. worthless.

                        The respondents are people who are searching for car insurance online, so
                        they're motorists � & �This "news item" is really just a press release to
                        publicize the insurance company. But that's corporate capitalism for ya.

                        Mark

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 1, 2001
                          Even better - goto the local Big Box store and watch them circling the
                          parking lot looking for a large enough parking space....