Re: [CF] Press Release: Survey Finds Strong Support for High-Speed Rail

  • Whitney Turner
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 2010
      Link to results of a similar study:
      http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-98-percent-of-us-commuters-favor-public-tra,1434/

      At 09:20 AM 8/6/2010, jonathan st.thomas wrote:
      >sent by jonathan st.thomas
      >
      >From: California High-Speed Rail Authority
      ><californiahighspeedrailauthority@...>
      >
      >FOR IMMEDIATE
      >RELEASE July 27, 2010
      >
      >SURVEY FINDS STRONG SUPPORT FOR HIGH-SPEED RAIL
      >Findings Bolster Effort to Attract Federal and Private Investment
      >

      >SACRAMENTO ­ In the first gauge of public
      >opinion since voters approved a 2008 bond
      >measure, a survey released today shows that
      >clear majority of Californians support the
      >state’s high-speed train project, with more than
      >three-quarters saying they would like the project to be built.
      >
      >Some 76 percent of Californians indicated
      >support for the project, with 34 percent saying
      >they would like to see the project move forward
      >“as quickly as possible,” 42 percent saying they
      >would like to see the high-speed trains built
      >despite some concerns over cost and timing, and
      >only 13 percent indicating opposition to the project.
      >
      >“Californians are telling us loudly and clearly
      >that they support the state’s high-speed rail
      >project, and that’s the message we will be
      >delivering in Washington this week to the
      >Administration and the Congressional
      >leadership,” said Curt Pringle, Chairman of the
      >California High Speed Rail Authority.
      >
      > == snip == == snip == == snip == == snip ==
      >
      >Contact: Rachel Wall
      >rwall@...

    • Capt., The Last Bike Ride Out of the 20th
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2010
        How many respondents to a survey will say that they want to leave their car at home, and how many of them will actually do so, are two different things.

        It reminds me of another manifestation that I seem to be the only one noticing, of the same phenomenon that's been happening here in the Marcellus Shale lately: The crowd that purports to be more anti-drilling than me takes the very pro-drilling action of motoring to virtually 100% (as opposed to my abysmally-high-lately, but still-more-anti-drilling-than-them, 90% of the ones that I attend) of its purportedly-anti-drilling events, the parking lots of which are always overflowing with single-occupant cars.

        - Tom Frost Jr.