Re: [CF] Fwd: Capital Metro weekend trains drew crowds but no profit

    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2010
      > Interstate 35 in Texas made $0.00 today as it has everyday
      > since it was first built. But enormous expense went into
      > building it. And today we continue to pay to maintain it and
      > respond to the crashes and other emergencies along it. Using
      > the same logic the Interstate should've been shutdown decades
      > ago for failure to earn a profit.

      =v= Exactly. There is a bizarre mental block going on that cars
      and roads are somehow just magically there and everything else
      is subsidized. One could drive a "Liberty" brand SUV fueled
      with "Rebel" gasoline on a "Free"way, each element so thoroughly
      marketed (right down to the names) as the way things should be.
      Meanwhile, the more efficient and less-costly alternatives are
      subjected to far more scrutiny for far less subsidy.

      =v= I have yet to see a Ron Paul supporter or libertoonian type
      tackle this issue, which would seem to be very important for
      someone who professes those principles. At best they'll mumble
      about some private toll road somewhere, while not bothering to
      address their patronage of a bailed-out auto company guzzling
      subsidized gas on state-maintained roads. (Indeed, they're far
      more likely to rationalize this in terms of entitlement based
      on the taxes they pay against their wills.)