relative safety

  • AnnaLisa
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8 11:50 AM
      John Mayson wrote:

      "I'm fortunate living in Austin. We have decent infrastructure and I
      find most drivers to be at least tolerant of cyclists. Now when I
      lived in Florida it was a different story. I ride to work everyday
      and have no bike lanes or shoulders. I take my lane and go for it and
      never have had a problem.

      But when I get into a car I seem to attract every lunatic with car
      keys. I feel much safer on my bike than I do a passenger car."

      I am amused by what some people consider safe. I generally commute by bus
      and go shopping with my trike. (Can't balance a two-wheeler anymore.) I am
      amazed at how many people whose driving skills scare the beegeebers out of
      me try to coerce me into their cars with the argument that riding busses is
      dangerous. I have come to the conclusion that people who are the most
      fearful of alternative transportation are generally the ones who should not
      be driving at all.

      Smiles,

      AnnaLisa