anarchy in the streets

  • Simon Norton
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2010
      May I suggest that if drivers who want to avoid trouble with speed traps or
      police officers should just be told to keep within the law. And, if they find
      that too difficult, they should be told to find other means of getting around.
      That is, incidentally, as good a reason as any to provide decent facilities for
      cyclists and public transport users.

      Simon Norton
    • Simon Norton
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2010
        I presume that people who cite argument 1 in John's posting -- that the police
        have quotas to fill -- mean that what they want the police to do is to ignore
        lawbreaking by motorists. This is a tenable position for those who believe that
        the car is king.

        I have no doubt that the counterargument -- that there's so much lawbreaking
        that the police can't possibly crack down on even what they can detect -- is
        true. This, unfortunately, means that argument 2 -- that there is little chance
        of being copped -- is not silly but true.

        In the UK there are frequent statements that traffic enforcement is done to
        raise revenue for local authorities. This is denied by local authorities, but
        should it be ? After all the more revenue they can raise by fining lawbreakers
        the lower they can keep taxes for law abiding citizens.

        Simon Norton