Anarchy in the Streets

  • g_keagle
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7 4:57 PM
      "...For a number of years now, a number of cities in
      Europe have been experimenting with the removal of all
      traffic signs – including traffic lights, stop
      signs, speed limit directives – and with surprising
      results. Various towns in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Sweden,
      New Zealand – even the UK! – have joined in the experiment.
      Contrary to the expectations of those who might expect
      multi-car pileups throughout the cities, traffic
      accidents have been dramatically reduced (in one town,
      dropping from about eight per year to fewer than two).
      Part of the reason for the increased safety relates to
      the fact that, without the worry of offending traffic
      sign mandates, or watching for police speed-traps, or checking the
      rear-view mirror for police motorcycles, drivers have more time
      to pay attention to other cars and pedestrians..."

      http://www.lewrockwell.com/shaffer/shaffer213.html
      <http://www.lewrockwell.com/shaffer/shaffer213.html>

    • Whitney Turner
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8 6:33 AM
        At 07:57 PM 4/7/2010, g_keagle quoth:
        >"Part of the reason for the increased safety relates to the fact
        >that, without the worry of offending traffic sign mandates, or
        >watching for police speed-traps, or checking the rear-view mirror
        >for police motorcycles, drivers have more time to pay attention to
        >other cars and pedestrians..."

        It's a nice theory, but I'd extend a different possible causality
        with similar outcomes:

        "If you have to negotiate passage (ROW) at every meeting with another
        roadway user, you're much more likely to be more aware."

        In the currently predominant scheme ROW is assumed/assigned, and it's
        possible to make it ten miles across town safely (most of the time)
        by merely making sure the lights are green. This reduces the need
        for awareness significantly.

        May I safely posit that increased awareness is a good thing?

        Thanks,
        Whitney