Assaulted

  • Devin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2010
      I was assaulted by the driver of RYR-950 who proceeded to buzz me with a
      foot of clearance on 8th st around Nicollet ave in downtown Minneapolis and
      then when I proceeded to inform you of the law you smacked my on the face
      and then took off. I did call the cops and demanded to file an assault
      report

      My biggest possible let down of this whole deal is that the DA who according
      to the officer will more than likely blow it off since I admitted I
      approached the driver and he may claim he felt threatened by my 25 lb
      bicycle and wool tights while he was encased in his 2K lb steel shell.

      I guess I should just roll over and accept my place as a second class road
      user

      --
      In Frith,
      Devin

    • g_keagle
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2010
        --- In CarFree@yahoogroups.com, Devin <coultraguy@...> wrote:

        "...I guess I should just roll over and accept my place as a second
        class road user..."

        George responds:

        We commuter bikers are not "second class" road users. But we are in the
        minority. Some (very few, thankfully) drivers are rude, unkind AND
        dangerous -- and they're threatening to bikers. We can't depend upon
        employees of civil government [men and women in state issued costumes
        :)] to "protect" us or to "take our side" when conflicts arise. They
        don't and they won't -- even though some of them are patrolling
        congested parts of downtown areas on bikes themselves nowadays.

        As a young man I was taught: "If it's going to be, it's up to me". As
        a biker I interpret that to mean I must accept the reality there are
        more of "them" (cars, trucks & buses) than there are of "us". And
        they're bigger and they're faster and they're more of a threat and many
        of 'em feel that since they're paying a large tax with each gallon of
        motor fuel they "own" the streets.

        Not only that, out of a thousand drivers that pass you a certain
        percentage are drunk, high, or simply incapable of staying out of
        accidents. Many should never be allowed on public roads as drivers --
        they have no driving skills -- but some 30 or more years previously
        managed to slip through the cracks in a driving test and have been
        allowed to "renew" licensing ever since. Government is not the most
        efficient means to weed out incapable drivers.

        I have to remember I am not sacrosanct just because I'm on a bicycle. I
        personally avoid wearing "dandy" looking attire for that reason when out
        on the streets commuting. I can afford Spandex, but I wear Wrangler.
        Not that you should -- it's just my style.

        I might have a "right" to the road, but a dead biker has no "rights".

        Stay alive, stay safe, and don't let the bastards get you down!

        Regards,

        Geo. Keagle